1754137 Members
4370 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CPU Serial number

SOLVED
Go to solution

CPU Serial number

For generating licence from montagar.com for C compiler I need to input CPU Serial Number but I don't know it also I don't know how can I retrieve it from my Vax (Vax4000-400).

Please help me to solve this problem
8 REPLIES 8
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi,

My understanding is that VAX systems do not have serial numbers. Licenses generally use one of three methods:

- LMF license PAK (VMS V5.0 and later)
- The SID, HW_MODEL, CPU, or XCPU values (specific a particular kind of VAX, but not unique)
- The global hardware MAC address of the network interface (unique unless you have an EPROM programmer)

You may want to use the second and third options.

Regards.
Ketan

I am new in this area and don't know

how I can retrieve from system one of following SID, HW_MODEL, CPU, or XCPU

Please explain steps to do

Thank you in advance
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Use the below commands to get the required info:

$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETSYI ("VERSION")
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT F$GETSYI("HW_NAME")
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "CPU = " + F$FAO ("!8XL", F$GETSYI("CPU"))
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "HW_MODEL = " + F$FAO ("!8XL", -
F$GETSYI("HW_MODEL"))
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "SID = " + F$FAO ("!8XL", F$GETSYI("SID"))

Regards,
Ketan
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

For most VAXes the serial number is written on the hardware and is not readable from the system.

I have generated license from montagar.com and already received it as a text file

I need to set up this license to be able to use CC compiler

please help me to understand future steps

Thanks in advance
Shriniketan Bhagwat
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I think you may have to run the file containing the license as the command procedure.
Instructions to set up the license may be provided by the originator. Please check.

Regards,
Ketan
Hoff
Honored Contributor

All VAX systems have unique serial numbers.

Some VAX systems have machine-readable (and unique) serial numbers.

Newer VAX systems do not tend to have machine-readable serial numbers.

The information that the hobbyist program is seeking is from a sticker on the chassis, usually located on the back or sometimes bottom and often near the power connection. That sticker will usually contain the power consumption and voltage information, the model number, and the serial.

Particularly on the microprocessor-based VAX systems, the DCL that is posted here will not get the serial number (on the sticker) that the hobbyist program is looking for.

Read the data from the sticker on the chassis. That's the number you want to use here for the enrollment.
RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

I seem to recall that you needed the serial number to apply for the hobbyist licences. Since you say you have already received the licences, you must have already passed the step asking for the serial number. Why do you need to find the serial number now?