Operating System - OpenVMS
1753464 Members
4669 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cluster IP failover - notification possible in some way?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Jerrom
Valued Contributor

Howdy,

I had (have) the same problem. We use MessageQ which can be configured to run in a cluster, but a particular bus/group can only be active on one cluster member at a time. TCPIP$SYFAILSAFE.COM runs on the node giving up the address, which is okay in a controlled shutdown/failover but no good for a crash.
I'm told the TCPIP team are looking at implementing something that would fit the bill in a version tba, this would probably involve OPCOM scrapping, so you are looking at a similar solution to them! In the meantime I have a DCL procedure on each cluster member opening a network mailbox on the other nodes and issuing a read; when the read completes with an error then I know the other node has disappeared for some reason and can act accordingly. Not perfect but better than being rung at 3 in the morning.
Have fun,

PJ
Have fun,

Peejay
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it can't be done with a VT220, who needs it?

Hi there,

after a long time investigating the options, I have come to the conclusion that I will create a solution as outlined by Jan but maybe a little different ;-)

In the end, we need to have some application startup process that defines the alias address on the interface and that should be it, I hope.

There is still potential for this to not work correctly, ie. someone stops the queue on one node, the processes fail over to the other node including the definition of the IP alias. But in that situation it might happen that there are still connections to this IP on the originating node and therefore it will not move; yes I could use ifconfig -alias ... abort or whatever but if the killed process does not come to that point...

Still, this solution is better than nothing!

A bit THANKS to all who have answered!

Matthias

See above comment.