108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cluster Migration Procedures

SOLVED
Go to solution
sartur
Advisor

Cluster Migration Procedures

We have to migrate a OpenVMS 7.3-2 Cluster on Alpha Servers 8400 to new ES47 servers.
The actually Cluster nodes have independent system disks ( Shadow Disks ) in their local bus.
The Quorum Disk and data disks resides in the SAN ( EVA5000 )

Which it is the better method in order to carry out it in sure and quicker form without having to reinstall the applications?
We have planned to carry out the following :

1- Shutdown one node
2- Image backup the system disk to SAN ( EVA5000 )
3- Boot one ES47 from this copy in the SAN ( only with the system and quorum disk )
4- Resolve any related issues :
Different system disk device name
Licensing
Hardware differences ( network devices )
DECNET and TCPIP reconfig
AUTOGEN
5- Test the clustering mechanism
6- Mount the data disks and test de applications.
5- Test the aplications for a week or so

If anything is OK... then do the same procedure with the another ES47.

Is this method completely sure?
Do some other complications exist that don't we be seeing?
Do we lose facilities, improvements or performance making the migration in this way, without an "clean installation"

Or given the implied risks and complexities would be better carry out make "clean installations" ( including the applications ) and adding the new nodes to the cluster.

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Re: Cluster Migration Procedures

Arturo,

Personally, I prefer, if at all possible to create new cluster members:

- leaving all of the original nodes up
- imaging one of the system disks
- mounting the copy privately
- making the configuration changes (SCSNODE, etc.)
- booting the cloned system disk on one of the new systems
- testing the new node
- including the new node in the production mix

Repeating the last two steps until all of the new systems are in production. The old hardware can then be idled and disconnected.

While it is a little bit more effort, this scheme can be implemented without ANY INTERRUPTION in system availability. For that matter, the cluster will never actually be down. Some members will be added, and other members will be removed.

This is the way that OpenVMS clusters have recorded uptimes in excess of a decade, through generations of software, CPUs, and mass storage.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

I would consider moving the system disks to SAN with backup/image. Configure the two 8400s to use the SAN for boot disks.

Run cluster_config to create new roots for the ES-47s on each system disk. This gives you 2 systems disks, with 2 roots on each system disk.

Bring the new ES-47s into the cluster, test the application, adjust modparams etc. You'll have a 4 node cluster during the testing period.

Shutdown the 8400s, removing nodes and adjusting quorum.

I would also run console diagnostics for 48-72 hours prior to booting the new systems into the cluster.

With proper planning, the cluster will remain available.

Andy
"There are nine and sixty ways . . . "

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Martin Hughes
Regular Advisor

Unless you have a compelling reason to keep the existing nodenames, then adding the ES47's into the existing cluster is the way I would do it.

Personally, I would lean towards doing a clean install rather than copying an existing system disk, unless there is a good reason why you can't or don't want to. It's hard to say which option is better, it depends on your environment and which option you are more comfortable with. There are complexities either way...

If you do decide to use a backup copy (or shadow copy) and then rename this build, I would suggest that first you find a test box, preferably with similar products installed, and rename it. What you really want to avoid is a situation where you boot the new node into the cluster and you cause a problem with the existing cluster members because you overlooked something.

As for performance, make sure that if you choose the clean install option that you take a good look at your existing SYSGEN settings. You will probably need to duplicate some settings for the new build. AUTOGEN won't be much use until the new servers have seen a period of usage.
For the fashion of Minas Tirith was such that it was built on seven levels, each delved into a hill, and about each was set a wall, and in each wall was a gate. (J.R.R. Tolkien). Quote stolen from VAX/VMS IDSM 5.2
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Arturo,

from experience, I can say that I definitely agree with Robert & Andy, and I tend to disagree with Martin.
Migration "on the fly", by first adding a node, and if it is functioning satisfactorily, removing an old one (repeat as necessary).
THE big issue with fresh install is, that you need to re-apply ALL layered- and 3rd-party stuff. In my experience, you ALWAYS forget something!

And the organisation will not even notice if things go as is to be expected, but, IF you go the fresh route and you DO hit an issue, THAT will be when you have some explaining to do!

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
sartur
Advisor

And what about losing facilities, improvements or performance by not having made a "clean installation" ?
The image of the "old" system disk has everything required ( images, dcl scripts, etc ) for the new ES47 ?
In affirmative case that could so much affect this ?
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor
Solution

"The image of the "old" system disk has everything required ( images, dcl scripts, etc ) for the new ES47 ?"

From: http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/download/alphaserver_es47_ds_0704.pdf

on page 3, it says the ES series are supported by v7.3-1 with TIMA kit, ie. I would think v7.3-2 should be good.

And from:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/6668/6668pro_012.html#alpahes

it doesn't sound like there are any hardware dependencies to "worry" about.

And just to clarify, you have two _different_ system disks, or one system disk shadowed on both nodes?

My 2cents worth ... perhaps you could go your way, from a backup, bring it up independantly with the new ES47 on the seperate SAN space and work out the changes that will be required. Then when your ready, take the suggestions given and integrate them into your existing cluster.

Always bound to miss something the first time around, always best to discover it in test!

Good luck,
Art
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Arturo,

If you are going from 7.3-2 to 7.3-2, then everything is there. I would take a look at the patches to see if there are any patches specific to the hardware configuration on the new systems that are applicable (and may have been ignored because they did not apply to the 8400 systems).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Arturo,

>>>
And what about losing facilities, improvements or performance by not having made a "clean installation" ?
<<<

Any improvements on the "clean" installation are also on upgraded systems.
(btw, the LEAST you need on a clean installation will be to apply the 732 patches again!)

Also consider that your current system disk IS already configured and tuned for YOUR environment (at least I sure hope and trust so)
Any (re-)configuring left will be for your new NICs, and adaptations for the undoubtably increased memory and CPU-speed.
Of course, moving to SAN requires its own configuring whichever way you choose.

However you decide: thinking ahead is much better than correcting afterward!

Succes.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
sartur
Advisor

Ok.. assuming that we will make with copies ( backup images ) of the system disk, to which we will make the necesary changes ( network card address, etc ), but leaving the same SCNODE, IP and DECNET addresses.
The idea is shutdown an node 8400 y startup an new ES47 using the copy modified of the system disk, and join to the cluster together with the other 8400. Then validate the cluster operation some days and if OK, then repeat the same procedure with the other node. Is safety to make that in this way ? Will we have problems to the moment to make the JOIN to the active cluster with the new ES47 ?