108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Creating a queue on an NTY device

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chaim Budnick
Regular Advisor

Creating a queue on an NTY device

Is any special processor required for creating a printer queue on an NTY device?

I am looking at one of our customer systems and I see several queues which are defined on NTY devices and working fine, and a show queue/full does not show any special processor?

Thanks

Chaim
14 REPLIES 14
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

An NTY device looks like a serial port so no particular symbiont needed.

Thanks!

And what about a TNA port?

Chaim
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor
Solution

Chaim,

It should be same as NTY. No special processors needed.

Bojan
Chaim Budnick
Regular Advisor

Thanks!

So basically this makes obsolete the LPD and TELNET symbionts which were required way back when I was doing VMS work (I just recently got back into VMS after 4 years in the MS world).

Chaim
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Chaim,

This is partialy true. The "standard" SYS$SYSTEM:PRTSMB.EXE processor allocates the printer device. The device is allocated until the symbiont runs (STOP/NEXT stop the symbiont). The SYS$SYSTEM:LATSYM.EXE processor introduced that the device is allocated only for the duration of the job. This is needed when one printer is used from more than one computer. There is a rudimental queue on the printer server (or printer itself) which blocks simultaneous jobs. This queue works on connections. When a connection is established all others are blocked.
So depends on yours environment if you need TELNET or LPD symbionts or you dont need them.

Bojan
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

I'm with Bojan,
for example with tcpip processor you can supply IP address and you don't need create a TNA port before starting queue.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Small supplement to Antonio:

You need the IP address (or, preferably, a DNS name that tranlates to an IP address) _AND_ the portnumber at the printer (for HP printers that will be port 9100; other brands, look at their documentation)
(partial) queue init syntax:
... /ON=prt1.our-domain:9100 ... (or, of course, /AUTOSTART_ON= etc)

hth

Cheers.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

To clear up some apparent confusion:

*Either* you create the telnet device beforehand (using IP/name and port) and don't need a queue processor,

*or* you create the queue using /ON with the IP/name and port *and* specify the TELNETSYM processor

cu,
Martin
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Just to understand this thread : is this multinet only ? If not, how do you create NTY devices ?

Wim
Wim