New Discussion юеВ

DCL Query - Removing Linefeed Character

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

DCL Query - Removing Linefeed Character

Hi All,
It's been a while since I've been over on the VMS side of things!
I'm trying to script some DCL to replicate what is currently being done via a Kermit File transfer but extracting from VMS mail instead.

The existing files comes across as Stream_LF.
I have been able to extract the message, for some reason it seems to have a "=" at the end of each record and is set to 72 characters.
I have to do a bit of dodging around to extract the e-mail but I do obtain a file. I then try and write this file to a suitable output file. The trouble is the file I'm writing out using DCL seems to contain a after the Write of each Record.
I create the empty file using an FDL based on the original and Open /Read / Write to preserve the file. But I cannot replicate the original file that does not have the Characters in the file.

OpenVMS 7.2 (or 7.2-2 on Alpha)

Any hints as to how you write a file out in DCL but not have a at the end of each record?
I've tried the /Symbol qualifier but that made no difference.

TIA

Rob.
13 REPLIES 13
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Re: DCL Query - Removing Linefeed Character

Hello Rob,

once it is in Mail it is not Stream_LF on the
VMS side of things. If file attributes are important wrap the file into something that preserves file attributes (like a zip archive with "-V"), pack that up (e.g. with uuencode or mpack) and transfer the packed format.

Greetings, Martin
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Martin,
To be a bit clearer, this is a file that is arriving from an external source by e-mail.
I need to extract the file and prepare it for use in an existing utility, hence the need to replicate the existing format.

I might need to get the sending side to alter how it is sent. But I was hoping to avoid that.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Hi Rob,

This might be easier to handle as a service case. Please email me your access number and I'll log one for you.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Rob,

one thing you might try before doing any re-workings is to tell VMS that this IS a stream_LF file:
$ set /attrib=rfm:stmlf

If it is a true stream_lf file, you're home!
Any program using RMS will handle it correctly.

But, if you DO have to manipulate the records in DCL:

$ open/read ifi
$ open/write ofi $ lf[0,8]=10
$loop:
$ read ifi rec/end=done
$ rec = rec - lf - lf ! twice (or more) if not sure of only one lf
$ write ofi rec
$ goto loop
$done:
$ close ifi
$ close ofi

hth

Cheers.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The reason for the line breaks at column 72 and the "=" at the end is called 'Quoted-Printable'.

See:
http://rfc.sunsite.dk/rfc/rfc2045.html
Section: 6.7. Quoted-Printable Content-Transfer-Encoding
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Rob,

just an aside:

>>>
I have been able to extract the message, for some reason it seems to have a "=" at the end of each record and is set to 72 characters.
<<<

This looks suspiciously like the contents of a quoted-printable encoded MIME mail.

There, unprintable characters get encoded by "=" and lines longer than 72 characters get broken up with "=" as the separator.

HTH,
Martin
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Rob,

welcome back to OpenVMS ;-) If you've not been there for a while, you may not be aware of the MIME utility, which is able to read (and extract attachments from) MIME formatted mails.

You sure remember HELP, so just try $ HELP MIME

If the file you're interested in, would come as an attached MIME-encoded document, you could easily extract it from VMSmail:

$ MAIL
MAIL> EXTRACT/NOHEADER x.x
MAIL> EXIT
$ MIME x.x
MIME> LIST
MIME> EXTRACT/ATTACH=1
MIME> EXIT

Volker.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> Any hints as to how you write a file out in DCL but not have a at the end of each record?

Instead of $OPEN/WRITE file name.ext

use:

$CREA name.ext
or
$CREA/FDL=some.fdl name.ext

then

$OPEN/APPEN file name.ext.

If the mime / rfc advice does not sort you out, and you end up with a file that needs post processing, when we can help. But to help us help you please attach a sample output and input in a text or .doc file.

fwiw,
Hein.
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Rob,

It seams that you receive a mail in the so called "quoted-printable" content transfer encoding. This seams because of the 72 characters long records (RFC says less than 76) and the so called soft line break (an "=" at the end of line). Please see th RFC for more informations:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2045.html

Now, to properly convert this file you must write (or search) a program which will do the work. It is possible to write it in DCL.

Abbout the ending , you shold check the file using dir/full and dump. Maybe it will be easier to write a normal VMS sequential file and then convert it to stream_LF (if the file will not be used on VMS).

Bojan