4638 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

DECC Library RTL and Documentation

Tom Wetty
Advisor

DECC Library RTL and Documentation

Hello, 

I have four different questions for this software.

Can anyone give be a pointer to the DECC library functions? I am running an RX2660 server, using HP Basic,  on a Open VMS 8.4 Eco 3 environment and I am having great difficulty finding the documentation sub-set for these routines.

I am using my application to call a Federal Express server which is running Ship Manager for creating the carrier tracking numbers on packages.  

Additionally, Does anyone know if Open VMS requires any other special system configurations other than TCPIP V5.7 - ECO 3, and DECnet Plus to run these programs ? 

Finally, Is anyone aware of number of Sockets limits to the Ship Manager application ?  We are experiencing a problem where the number of sockets are approching 500 connections.  Is there a DECC function to close a socket until it is required at run time ?

16 REPLIES 16
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: DECC Library RTL and Documentation

Tom Wetty
Advisor

Thanks for the quick reply.  Attached i s the guts of the calls from my application to the DECC routines. 

The programs that I am talking about  for "these programs"  as executing, is my application which is calling real time the DECC sub-routines.

This does work today.  It ran without issue for six years, and now as we approach over 500 user sockets (as reported by the Fedex Tech) the issue where the Fedex Server application  does not respond to the data requests from my application and the only thing that corrects the not receiving data issue is to restart the Fedex application service.

The topology consists of a single FEDEX Server located an off site data center behind our firewall, which is the same data center with one of the seven OpenVMS servers (the other six servers are spread throughout the Domestic US).  Each of the OpenVMS servers call the service (application = Ship Manager) on the single FEDEX Server.  The logic flow is open a connection to the Fedex Server,  Send data to the fedex server, Receive data from the fedex server.

The additional external logicals are as follow:

(LNM$GROUP_001045)

"WMS$$FDX_INIT" = "INIT"

"WMS$$FDX_IP" = "10.161.35.18"

"WMS$$FDX_METER" = "475064"

"WMS$$FDX_PORT" = "2000"

John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Tom,

There's a SYSGEN parameter CHANNELCNT, with a default of 512. It limits the number of I/O channels you may open simultaneously. Each socket will consume one channel.

To check your value

$ MCR SYSGEN SHOW CHANNELCNT

If "Current" is at the default value, 512, then it will definitely limit you to around 512 sockets.

To update the value, have your system manager edit SYS$SPECIFIC:[SYSEXE]MODPARAMS.DAT and add a line like:

MIN_CHANNELCNT=2048   ! Allow Ship Manager to exceed 500 sockets Tom Wetty 12-Oct-2012

then execute AUTOGEN, review any other consequential parameter changes and reboot the system. 

(I've never seen conclusive evidence that allocations should be on powers of 2, but it seems to be the tradition).

A crucible of informative mistakes
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

To check John's suspicions, aim SHOW PROC/CONT at the process and hit the Q character.

That will bring up a Quota display. Look for the line :  # open files remaining ...

Further details about actual channel usage can be found with ANALYZE /SYSTEM.

Again 'aim' for the process this time with SET PROC/IN=.. or SET PROC "your process name here"

And request SDA> SHOW PROCESS /CHAN

I looked at fedexcomm.TXT 43 KB

Free advice? (worth every penny right?) ... Ditch it.

Clearly this module begs to be (re)written in C directly, as every other line is related to calling C functions.

What value is BASIC offering other then easy parameters/variables for strings?

Good luck,

Hein

Tom Wetty
Advisor

I appreciate the assistance.  However the number of users being 500 is not on the OpenVMS clients but on the Windows single server that I believe to be the problem.  We eliminated about 40 users on the OpenVMS side and the problem seems to have vanished.  Is there a way to adjust channels on XP ?

I do not believe adjusting the OpenVMS channels will allievate the problems.  I do not have an C or C++ licenses or compilers so that is not an option either.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> I do not believe adjusting the OpenVMS channels will allievate the problems. 

It doesn't matter what you believe.

Just look. Trust but verify,  as per earlier reply

>> I do not have an C or C++ licenses or compilers so that is not an option either.

Well, that's too bad isn't it.

IMHO calling CRTL routines directly, whiel likely to work, is a supported setup.

I do not believe ( :^) ) that calling the CRTL routines directly will be an issue.

The program largely works right? But why take the risk?

Cut out the middleman... call TCPIP services directly.

Use its data defintions (TCPIP$INETDEF.BAS)

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82final/6529/6529pro.html

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82final/6529/6529pro_012.html#socket_ref

Hein

Tom Wetty
Advisor

Which server am I to this on ? 

There are seven of client VMS servers here and all are production.

The error has not happened since we reduced the number of users and the number of sockets.

GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

Hi Tom!

"We are experiencing a problem where the number of sockets are approching 500 connections."

As has been asked before...what kind of problem and detected where? OpenVMS side? FEDEX server side?

Any error message?

And the "500 connections" are on the FEDEX server? Or the some of connections from all the production servers?

To fix "the problem" by just "shooting" connections is wishful hope for a quick fix.

/Guenther