4706 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DECWINDOWS X

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Found 2 things.

1) I started decwindows in batch and continued the boot in parallel. In the logfile :
%RUN-S-PROC_ID, identification of created process is 000000B3
Number of screens: 1
Screen devices and order: GYA0
%RUN-S-PROC_ID, identification of created process is 000000B4
%INSTALL-I-NONRES, image installed ignoring '/RESIDENT' DISK$WSYS01_SYST:YSCOMMON.SYSLIB>CDE$UNIX_ROUTINES.EXE
-INSTALL-E-NOGHREG, insufficient memory in the code or data granularity hint reg
ion
%INSTALL-I-NONRES, image installed ignoring '/RESIDENT' DISK$WSYS01_SYST:YSCOMMON.SYSLIB>DECW$XLIBSHR.EXE
-INSTALL-E-NOGHREG, insufficient memory in the code or data granularity hint reg
ion

2) After decwindows switches to graphics (just a flash), it switches directly back to console mode. To display the logout message ?

3) I did a set verify and found the code executed was not different. Only the installs failed (but is this a reason for the f2 behaviour ?).
Wim
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Wim,

-INSTALL-E-NOGHREG, insufficient memory in the code or data granularity hint region

That looks to me like you should run AUTOGEN. Normally, if DECW$STARTUP is run during startup it checks the system parameters and if they are not sufficient the boot process stops and the operator is asked if AUTOGEN should be run.
Martin Kirby
Advisor

The install failures should be harmless, however they may be producing OPA0 messages.

Try defining DECW$IGNORE_SHARE_ADDRESS TRUE as a system logical name. This will stop DECwindows installing images resident and avoid the messages.

The messages arise because, at the end of install, the granularity hint code region is trimmed to leave none unused. So when you start DECwindows later there is no space to install resident. Running AUTOGEN will not avoid this.

If you want the images installed resident (I never bother maybe because I change images far too often) then you will need to set the SYSTEM parameters that tell the system to retain extra granularity hint region.

Martin Kirby
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

If I sync with the batch job, it starts without problem. I have the impression it has sonmething to do with using opa0 during the remainder of the startup, t.i. decw must be started completely at the end of the startup of you return to opa0 console mode.
Wim