1753773 Members
5194 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DECnet+ copy very slow

JKrucus
Frequent Advisor

DECnet+ copy very slow

We have a new DS15 Alpha VMS 7.3-2 server running DECnet+. When I copy a large file from any old server to this new one it runs fine. But when I copy from the new server to any old server it runs at 50 blocks per minute; it is also slow copying from an old server. It appears that files going to this new server run at full speed, but any file coming from this new server run at 1% speed. FTP has the same behavior. I must be missing something in the configuration.
14 REPLIES 14
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Hi,

does MC LANCP SHOW DEV/COUNTER show any errors at the LAN interface level ?

What's the auto-negotiation setting on the DS15 and the switch ? Ideally, both should be turned off and set to the same fixed speed and duplex mode to minimize problems.

Volker.
JKrucus
Frequent Advisor

The switches and consoles are all set to 100 full duplex. I have 13 million Unrecognized multicast destination packet errors, and 900 alignment errors, 800 frame check errors and 200 receive data length errors.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Hi,

do these error counters INCREASE, while you are copying a file and it seems slow ?

Are you really sure, that the switch is set to fixed speed and the same duplex setting as the NIC in the DS15 ?

There should be no frame-level errors between the switch port and the NIC in the DS15.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Check if you see the same values in mc lancp show dev/char (100 fd).

Do the error counters increase during the slow transfer ?

Is the performance of FTP as slow as the one in decnet ?

Wim
Wim
JKrucus
Frequent Advisor

Yes the errors increase. I copied a file for one minute, only 200 blocks. Unrecognized multicast packet errors increased by 524, alignment errors the same, frame check errors +1 and receive data length errors +6. mcr lancp sho /char eia0 shows 100 full. The switch administrator says the port is set to 100 full, but I will have him verify this again.....this may take hours or days to verify. Thank, Jerry

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jerry,

I'm pretty sure, that the switch port is set to auto-negotiation. This is the most 'popular' error found when receiving complaints about 'slow network file transfer' - especially in new installations (or after changing network equipment/connections).

Have your network person tell you the MAC address, which the switch reports on this port and verify that information with the current LAN address from LANCP> SHOW DEV/CHAR EIA0 - then you know you're talking about the correct switch port.

Volker.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

and this one
http://www.mug.jhmi.edu/mirrors/InfoAlley/0896/08/physical.html

Jerry,

You can experiment by changing the NIC speed and mode with:
$ mc lancp set device /autonegotiate /speed= /full_duplex

(see mc lancp help set device)
First I will try to set the NIC to auto which is the default on new switches and the only option on unmanaged switches.
When you get the right settings you can set the speed and mode in SRM console (my preffered) or with mc lancp set device /permanent or arrange with the switch administrator to set properly the switch port.

Bojan