1753776 Members
7193 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector and removed Shadow Set members - Catch 22

Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Bill, while your suggestion re: mount/group didn't work out, it did trigger the memory of when mounting a disk "privately" others within the same group could access it. (Perhaps this is specific to the [1,*] group? ... but that's ok because the OMNIADMIN account created by the DP client install is [1,500].) So if [1,x] account mounts the removed shadow set member "privately", the drive is available to OMNIADMIN for backup!

Just a bit different than what I wanted to code for, but should be fine.

Thanks,
Art
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Art,

Does the OMNIADMIN account have SHARE privilege? The only special privilege I remember that UIC groups LE the value given to the SYSGEN parameter MAXSYSGROUP get is SYSPRV. The default value of MAXSYSGROUP is 8(decimal), and that is why we have MAXSYSGROUP set to 1. Processes with SHARE privilege may assign channels to non-shared devices, so I am guessing that is the mechanism at play.

Jon
it depends
infra-sanfunc

Migrating ABS/MDMS OVMS backup to DP 6.0

Short description of current situation MDMS/ABS full backup on 4 node VMS cluster with shadowdisks.

- Starting ABS/MDMS backup specification
- Pre: shutdown databases
dismount second shadowset members (/policy=minicopy)
startup databases
mount private second shadowset members
- Backup second member
mount second member (/policy=minicopy)

To get the same functionality with the use of DP6.0 and to avoid a full copy operation as decribed in this case we used the following solution:

- create backup specification with Pre and Post (Pre: shutdown DB├в s, dismount second member, startup DB├в s. Post: not used)
- add for each disk (object) a Pre and Post (*1) (Pre: mount private, Post: dismount, mount / cluster / minicopy)
- modify job specification setting ├в file system options / other├в select: .

* 1:
Both object Pre and Post string have a which relates to the second member. This usable option is not mentioned in documentation, but very handy. E.g. get_disk.com $1$DGA2010: , free_disk.com $1$DGA2010:

Modify the OVMS OMNIADMIN user privileges to:
BYPASS CMKRNL DIAGNOSE NETMBX PHY-IO SETPRV
SHARE SYSNAM SYSPRV TMPMBX VOLPRO

This method did solve several issues described in this case

By default the backup specification type is named ├в Filesystem Unix├в . In the Help text regarding ├в objects properties├в the use of is referred to as a Unix option, but this is also effective for VMS to avoid write error log messages.

As mentioned this is a short description without full context of the VMS qualifiers and used scripts.

Best regards,
Gerke Grashuis
Harry de Jong
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

"- add for each disk (object) a Pre and Post (*1) (Pre: mount private, Post: dismount, mount / cluster / minicopy)"

Unless v6 is different, are you refering to the Filesystem Options | Advanced window? This doesn't appear to be a per disk setting, but the help says it runs before/after each "backup object" which I assume is each disk that I have checked off on the previous window? So one common procedure that runs for each disk. What kind of logic am I to put in there? I think it's the same situation where it's not the same process backing up each disk, so different processes will run the same pre and post procedures.

Hmmm,
Art
infra-sanfunc

Sorry for the delay. Last Friday the siet was off-line.

When configuring the backup specification you will find in Backup Object Summary the scanned disks.
Rightclick on disk, Properties, select Options.
This is the place to enter the Pre / Post for each disk (object) including the parameter. (note *1)
So each disk (object) has its own process due to the subbision of .

Recapitulate:
In pane Backup specification / options / general, you have Pre and Post for the overall backup (stop DB etc.)
In the pane mentioned above you have the specific Pre and Post for the object.
The creating of the scripts is very system specific so I cannot give comment on that.

Harry de Jong