8555 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Queue Length

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Disk Queue Length

Hi,

I found that 1 disk in my cluster had at one moment a queue length of 90. At 6:00 it was 30, at 6:02 it was 90 and at 6:04 it was 5.

The event is repeated every day at the same time.

The active image is dataserver (Sybase).

Top hot files reports high Non Virtual QIO (about 30% of all IO, mainly writes). This indicates file system activity ?

What can this be ?
(VMS 7.3, GS160, HSG80, MA8000, FDDI)

Wim
17 REPLIES 17
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

why not try to collect some info about those IOs with my favourite tool: SDA.

If this happens predictably at the same time every day, just submit a batch job to run at 06:00 and include the following commands:

$ ANAL/SYS
SDA> SET OUT/NOINDEX file1.lis
SDA> SHOW DEV
SDA> EXIT

This should give you the list of IOs in the queue for the device and you can find out, what they are alike, who issued them etc.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

That's an option Volker. In TNG I found some extra info :
1) both cluster nodes have a peak at the same moment : 70 for 1 and 20 for the other.
2) thruput was about 4 MB/sec at the moment of the peak
3) there was also a peak of 35 in "credit waits"

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Correction : thruput was about 9 MB/sec on 1 node, about 3.5 on the other. Thus about at its maximum.

cluster_credits is at 128. Too low ?
Since the disk is shadowed via FDDI : mscp_buffer is at 16384 and mscp_credits at 128.

Wim
Wim
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

CLUSTER_CREDIT = 128 is the maximum value.

Is anything unusual happening with the disk, pathes to the disk or HSG80 ? Mount-verification ? Path switches ?

Check the FC counters with SDA> FC STDT
(QF seen or Seq TMO > 0 ?).

Is there a specific job, which always starts at 06:00 ?

Volker.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wim,

Since the disk is shadowed via FDDI : mscp_buffer is at 16384 and mscp_credits at 128.

Maybe a superfluous question, but since you use FDDI, did you set NISCS_MAX_PKTSZ to 4486?

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Jan, yes it is at 4468 (Set by Johan Michiels, so, should be ok).

But I did mon clu and added cr_waits.
There are a few thousand of them but all nodes I checked have them, even in other companies.

Volker : nothing special active. Just an application peak.

Other thing : the FDDI is shared with another cluster. This one had a thruput of about 2-4 MB at the moment of the problem.

Wim
Wim
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

here is an article explaining non-virtual QIOs as reported by TNG/PSDC

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/CHAMP_SRC931006004627.html

In your case, this would point to 'database', probabyl doing Logical-IO to some of it's files. And if it is happening every day at 06:00, there must be some 'time-released' job in the application causing this.

Did you check the FC counters ?

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Now I took a look at a wider interval.

It seems that there are also peaks at other hours. And the peak at 6:00 has been lowered because the interval is 30 min instead of 2.

Between 01:06 and 2:15 several disks have peak queues of 10-70. And at this moment backup is active reading about 15 MB/sec. The SCS traffic during this interval is almost 0. I also saw backup doing lots of IO but not doing any thruput (during 20 minutes) generating queue length of 70 continuously.

Wim

So I guess it is normal behaviour when reading or writing too fast.
Wim
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

are you running your BACKUP jobs from an account with a very high DIOLM ? You may be overloading your HSG80...

The SDA> FC STDT/ALL counters would give an indication (QF seen).

Volker.