108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Editor when in minimum startup?

SOLVED
Go to solution
roose
Regular Advisor

Editor when in minimum startup?

Hi, what are the available text editors that I can use when I am on a minimum startup? I have tried to use EDIT/EDT and EDIT/TPU after doing a SET TERM/INQUIRE or SET TERM/VT400 (also VT100, VT300 and VT500), but it seems that I am unable to get into a successful editing screen.

I am doing this on an ES40, OpenVMS v7.3-1 with my console set to graphics. Thanks in advance for your help!
9 REPLIES 9
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

The EDT editor should work fine. Do you get an error from the $ SET TERM/INQ ? Can you post the $ SHO TERM output here. Does the editor abort or is your output just simply messy ?
Don't do what Donny Dont does
Bart Zorn_1
Trusted Contributor

The graphics console of Alpha systems is really brain dead with respect to any VT emulation.

The only things that are usable are EDT in line mode, or TECO.

This is one of the reasons that I use the serial console, connected to a real VT terminal, or a good VT emulation on a PC.

HTH,

Bart Zorn
roose
Regular Advisor

Yes, when I do a set term/inq, I get the following message:

%SET-W-NOTSET, error modifying OPA0:
-SET-I-UNKTERM, unknown terminal type

I am unable to capture the output of the SHOW TERM command as I currently don't have a PC/laptop near the console to be able to do so :(

When after doing the set term/dev=vtxxx, I do an edit/edt filename, the cursor remains at the rightmost bottom of the screen and only control key combination that gets a response is CTRL+Y (of course!).
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor
Solution

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Resume :

MCR SYSMAN IO AUTOCONFIGURE
@SYS$MANAGER:DECW$DEVICE
and then use edit/edt.

Wim
Wim
John Abbott_2
Esteemed Contributor

LOL (nice reply Wim) :-) I'm spoilt by a decent front end... cheers J.
Don't do what Donny Dont does
roose
Regular Advisor

Wim, thanks for asking this question before and having the answer as well for now! :) EDT does work now after I did the following:

$ mc sysman io auto
$ set term/vt52
$ edit/edt (or editx/edt, both works anyway)

Thanks to the rest of the gang in taking the time to help me!
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

Wim, thanks for that answer. I have been doing upgrades over the last two weeks and ran into this more than once. At least next time I know what to do.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Yep. I understand the problem. Boot minimum and not able to correct the problem because the editor is not working. Then find trics like renaming files, creating files with create, ...
It should be better in VMS.

Wim
Wim