New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error on BACKUP recording pass

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Lokesh,

this same issue came up a few months ago.

Please read:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=634019

It appears the HELP and the Sucurity Guide DO NOT have the same info, but the info from the Security Guide is how BACKUP behaves.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Chaim Budnick
Regular Advisor

I did not have the opportunity to add READALL to the VAXDSM account, but even without this, the backup completed without any errors last evening.

I have now added READALL.

If the error reoccurs, then I willl post the log file which will hopefully also include the error code.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone who posted replies!!
Chaim Budnick
Regular Advisor

The error has RETURNED.

The account running does have READALL as well.

Following is the output from the error routine:

WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Error ''F$MESSAGE(%x10A3800A)'"
Error %BACKUP-E-OPENIN, error opening !AS as input

Of course the !AS would contain the actual file name that only BACKUP actually knows.

What is frustrating is that I don't see any actual error in the log file from BACKUP. Perhaps if I knew what actual file is bothering BACKUP that this would help me to resolve this problem.

There is an "ON ERROR..." at the beginning of the command procedure. All I see is
%BACKUP-I-STARTRECORD, starting backup date recording pass, and then immediately the label for the error routine.

From this I concluded that the error was generated within this recording pass.

How can I "force" that BACKUP display the actual error from the BACKUP utility which hopefully would include the !AS substitution, and which would display the file name.

Chaim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Could it be that 1 or more of the files that had to be recorded as "backuped" no longer exists ?

Wim
Wim
Chaim Budnick
Regular Advisor

That is what I assume as well, but without the actual file name, I have not even the slightest clue to attempt to resolve the problem. If I had the "missing" file name, perhaps this would assist me in understanding why this file is missing.

Chaim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Read the wise words of the Wizard on the perils of /IGNORE=INTERLOCK
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_2467.html

/IGNORE=LABEL is not really a good idea either - it can lead to overwriting the wrong tape.

Just to check - in the backup job error log there is no mention of the filename?

Chaim,

The %BACKUP-E-OPENIN is reported when backup cant read an input file for reading. When it cant write the backup date the error is %BACKUP-I-WRITEBACK, error writing backup date for file ID .

The OPENIN error is probably caused by a deleted file (by another process) during the backup operation. Backup first collects file headers for backedup files then do the backup of them. If the file is deleted between the collection phase and backing up this error is reported.

The error %BACKUP-E-OPENIN, error opening !AS as input is reported by yours line:
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Error ''F$MESSAGE(ss)'"

which knows nothing abbout the file. This error is reported after the whole backup is finished. But you must have the error (reported by backup, with the file name) in the log file. The error must be between the log messages. Please do a SEARCH logfile "%BACKUP-E" to find it out.

Bojan
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I tested it and Bojan is right.

Wim
Wim
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

As long as error messages are not disabled (using SET MESSAGE...), BACKUP should report
the files having problems with.
You included SET NOON at the top of the procedure, so any ON ... condition is not checked.
Check the message status with
$ write sys$output F$env("message") in the
backup procedure.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

... and the filename is displayed. When it during the recording phase, the directory is shown but not the filename (only the id).

Wim
Wim