New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error when appending files on VMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
RobCox
Advisor

Ok here it is.
I have modified the script to include a set priv command and the set watch file command as well. This is attached in the text file Output.txt.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Rob,

It appears that someone broke append in I64. I wonder if it is now broken in 8.4 on the Alpha? (I would expect both to use the same source code)

This test is on Alpha 8.3, and as Rob stated, it works correctly.

Suggestion, create a simple reproducer that does not rely on anything (create the files, modify the creation dates with

$ set file/attribute=(credate=1-jan) a.1 ! etc

If you can provide a simple reproducer that demonstrates the issue, you will be much more likely to get a timely fix.

See attachment for log file.

Jon
it depends
RobCox
Advisor

Guys
I have been fiddling with this and I have observations:

The command $ append/log/new application_traf_anal_data:*gsm3*.dat/sin="02-jul-2010"/before="03-jul-2010" t.t
definitely does not work on the original files. I get the "%APPEND-W-NOTCMPLT" error.
If I remove the date parameters from the command, it works fine. But this is NOT what I want since the directory contains thousands of files outside the date range that is required.

Therefore as a work around, I have to copy the required files to the current working directory, append them there and then delete. That works ok but is a bit cumbersome. I can't change the creation dates of the original files because that is critical for selecting the files for the downstream system.

So there seems to be a problem with dates. Jon, I did as you suggested and changed the dates on some other files, and they were appended without a problem. So I'm a little confused. Is it really a problem with the append command or is there a problem with the creation dates on the files? How can I know?
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Just to see what happens, can you use

$copy *gsm3*.dat/sin="02-jul-2010" t.t temp.dat

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
RobCox
Advisor

Andy,
the copy command works fine, no problems there. In fact this is what I used as part of my work around to get the required files in the current working directory before appending.
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

Why do you have double quotes around the dates?
RobCox
Advisor

Cass,
the copy command is a line extracted from a script which allows the user to insert the date range of the files to be extracted and appended before passing to the downstream system. The user can enter a date like 02-jul-2010 or 02-jul-2010 12:35, hence the quotes are needed.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Guys
>> I have been fiddling with this and I have observations:

Me too, withing limited time available.

1) They did not 'break' append on I64 as suggest earlier. It works in general, and it works (on my itanium ) for a much similar command using my files.

2) Append is actually done by 'copy'. I check the code and the NOTCMPLT is a catch-call error AFTER an other error happened... but that other error should have been signalled, and it is not.

3) You SET WATCH log suggest trouble accessing (opening) the first file. No read are done. It is a mystery why no error was signalled. I suspect it is something very specific in your environment but for now I am at a loss as to what. Maybe the directory file is is odd?
3A) is APPS: some sour of search list or is there a bound volume set in play?
3B) create a fresh directory and rename all files there? then give the new directory the old name?
3C) analyze / disk [ /repair ]

>> Therefore as a work around, I have to copy the required files to the current working directory, append them there and then delete. That works ok but is a bit cumbersome.

So use RENAME to simplify this some, and minimize overhead on the box and minimize failure opportunities.

Use $ RENA/SINCE ... APPS:*GSM3*.DAT *.DAX
Then $ append *.DAX
And put it back $ RENA *.DAX *.DAT

I deliberately suggest to use the same main directory, and DAX as alternative for DAT to avoid/minimize the directory entry movements.

Good luck!
Hein
RobCox
Advisor

Hein,
thanks for your input here. The logical name "APPS" is actually a search list of 4 directories on 4 disks. I don't know if it significant, but all the files identified by the date criteria are actually in the first directory of the search list.
I also like your suggestion of doing a rename rather than copying the files. I tried it and it works fine.
However, I'm still bothered as to why the original script works fine on the Alpha but throws up an error on the Integrity, when both are in the same cluster.
I'm not going to put any further time into this. I have a work around that is satisfactory for my purposes. Thanks to all the experts who contributed.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi Rob,
Note that RENAME cannot be used when moving files between devices. (You mentioned that your files were on 4 different devices).

If all of your files are on a single device, and that is the same as your work directory, then the RENAME will work (as you seemed to indicate), however if any of the files are on other devices, then that part of the rename will fail.

(Note rename does not move any data, is simply modifies the INDEXF.SYS file (as I understand it))

Dave.