108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Fibre Channel HBA Identification

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mario Abruzzi
Contributor

Fibre Channel HBA Identification

How can I identify the exact make and model of a fibre channel HBA without shutting the system down or physically inspecting the adapter? An example HBA might be an Emulex (Light Pulse) LP9000.
7 REPLIES 7
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Fibre Channel HBA Identification

Try
$ ANAL/SYS
SDA> CLUE CONFIG

and see what it tells you

Can't check right now, but I would try:

$ show device/full FG

or, like Ian wrote:

$ analyze /system
SDA> clue config

--
But the operating system might call it FCA2354 or DS-KGPSA-DA instead of an LP9002.
Eberhard Wacker
Valued Contributor

As Ian and Uwe told clue config gives you the exact information (at least on V7.3-2):

Device Name / HW-Id
------------------------
KGPSA-** (Emulex LP9000)

Cheers

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but if 'KGPSA-**' really is the output from VMS, then I would not call this 'exact' information. There are/were several models sold under "KGPSA": KGPSA-BC, DS-KGPSA-CA, DS-KGPSA-DA, DS-KGPSA-EA.

But as far as I can tell, from the LP9000 series only one model is used: LP9002L.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

You can also look for the field replacable unit (FRU) entries in the error log. These entries vary in reliablity from release to release.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
DICTU OpenVMS
Frequent Advisor

Maybe something usefull can be found in the FC commands in the SDA :

$ ana /sys
SDA> fc

e.g.

sda> fc show dev fga0:
Graham Jagger

SDA> fc show dev fga will get you the firmware revision if you need it.

SDA> clue config gets you the Emulex model number.

a plain $ show dev fga0 /ful will get you the WWN.

As far as the parts they are Emulex. The older 1GB single port cards are LP8000. The 2Gb cards as LP9000 if it is a single port and LP9002 if it is a dual-port card.

Since you can download the firmware updates from HP support I'm not sure what else you really need.

I use Emulex cards in our Dell NT/Linux and Sun Solaris machines for EMC storage. Those are the Emulex LP10000DC-E, dual channel 2GB with EMC firmware.

When I get chance I'm going to flash one with HPs firmware for VMS and see if it will work. It would be nice to have 1 fiber card that will work for almost all of the servers I have to connect to the SANs and Storage arrays we use.

I did try a Qlogic 2200 card once in an Alpha ES40 and it wouldn't recognize it at the OS level. But the console firmware knew what it was.