New Discussion юеВ

Re: File not found failure on ftp

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alex Tough
Occasional Advisor

File not found failure on ftp

Hi,
We're running VAX/VMS version V5.5-2H4. We recently started to ftp a number of files from our IBM mainframe, and have put together a DCL script which converts from variable length to fixed length format. We have a delay of 1 minute after completing the ftp before we run the script. Very occasionally we see :
%CONV-F-OPENIN, error opening GEN├В┬гDISK:[WAREHOUSE.FINE.LIVE.MISC.DTF_RX]PICK_S
CONV-F-OPENIN, error opening GEN7├В┬гDISK:[WAREHOUSE.FINE.LIVE.MISC.DTF_RX]PICK_S
UMM.DAT; as input
UMM.DAT; as input
-RMS-E-FNF, file not found.
This is even though the file has just been successfully transferred.
I have altered the script to write a directory listing before attempting to convert the files. I guess we could also have a larger delay. Has anyone seen this type of issue, or have better suggestions as to how to troubleshoot the problem. I've attached the script if this is of any help.
Many thanks, Alex
14 REPLIES 14
Mike Reznak
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

only odd thing I can see is '├Г ├В┬г' characters instead of '$'. Are they in log file as well, or is it just badly translated in forum? If they are in log file, then system cannot find such device and so the files.

Mike
...and I think to myself, what a wonderful world ;o)
Alex Tough
Occasional Advisor

Mike
Many thanks for getting back to me. The bad characters are my fault and should all appear as $. The DCL script is initiated by rexec from our IBM mainframe system, and the output is seen back on the mainframe. I have cut and paste this output, which can lead to some conversion problems. To confirm, the script normally completes successfully, only occasionally do we see this problem, and in every case, we can see that the file has been transferred successfully, and the script will rerun successfully some minutes later. It appears that the file is somehow locked by the ftp process, and it is this that I need some assistance with.
Any assstance is much appreciated.
regards, Alex
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> VAX/VMS version V5.5-2H4

That's fresh. It might help to know which
TCP/IP product and version you run, too.

If the problem always clears itself, you
could add a wait loop which tries to open the
file. If the open fails, wait a bit, then
retry. If it succeeds, (close the file and)
continue. Depending on how exotic you want to
get, you could also limit the retries by time
and/or number, send e-mail when it fails, or
any number of other clever things. It's only
programming.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor
Solution

Alex,

you can easily test IF the file locked IS your issue:

$testing:
$ if f$file_att(targetfilespec,"LCK")
$ then
$ ! maybe report?
$ wait 0:0:5 ! or whatever is reasonable
$ goto testing
$ else
$ ! file can now be processed
$ endif

If you still run into problems, at least you _KNOW_ it is not because of file_locked!

Success.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Alex Tough
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to everyone for your sggestions. The admission I have to make (which you may have already guessed) is that I work in technical support for the IBM mainframe, and know little about VAX/VMS, but I'm having to learn ! I'll try out the suggestions about putting in the loop (many thanks for the code snippet). How do I determine the version of TCP/IP we use ?
Many thanks, Alex
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Hi Alex,

$ TCPIP
TCPIP > show version

! This displays your TCPIP version

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Alex Tough
Occasional Advisor

Hi Archunan
this doesn't work on our system, maybe I don't have authority to run this command ?

$ tcpip
%DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
\TCPIP\
$ TCPIP > SHOW VERSION
%DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
\TCPIP\
Thanks, Alex
Ian McKerracher_1
Trusted Contributor

Hello Alex,

Would it be possible to REXEC a small DCL script on the VAX which searches for the files and returns a status. Your IBM code could then check the stdout and stderr streams and determine whether or not to invoke the conversion script.

I'm also wondering whether it would make any difference if your IBM REXEC initiated the FTP command on the VAX itself.

Regards,

Ian

Alex Tough
Occasional Advisor

Ian
Many thanks for this suggestion. I have thought to amend the DCL to do this sort of thing, but my DCL skills are very limited. If you have any code snippets, this would be very much appreciated. The reason we initiate the ftp from the mainframe is that it easily provides the return code indicating sccess or otherwise back to the mainframe job. I guess this could be done from the VAX side.

On another note, the ONLY reason we run the script is because we need the files to be in fixed length format, but as far as we are aware, when transferred using ftp, the files are in stream format and therefore variable length. I could not see any way around this, hence the DCL scripts. Can anyone confirm this limitation (ie. variable length on ftp send to VAX) ?
Many thanks, Alex