New Discussion юеВ

Re: Finding IP Address of OpenVMS system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vineet Deshpande
Frequent Advisor

Finding IP Address of OpenVMS system

Hi,

I want to find out the IP Address of an OpenVMS system. I was using the following command earlier:- tcpip show interface

However I am facing a situation at customer end that this command is not working. At his end on a Alpha Operating System, Version V7.3-2 I am getting the following result:-

$ tcpip show interface
%DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling \TCPIP\

Is there another command I can use? Any idea why this is happening? Is it that TCPIP services are not present there?

Please help.

Thanks,
Vineet
23 REPLIES 23
Barry Alford
Frequent Advisor

Try
$ ucx show interface

this works on all versions of TCPIP Services for OpenVMS (which used to be called "Unix Connection")
Vineet Deshpande
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Barry.

I will check if it works at the customer end. Will update the thread with that information later.

- Vineet
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Vineet,

looks like HP TCPIP Services is NOT installed on your system. There may be another TCPIP stack installed.

Volker.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Try using the command "SHOW NET".

It will at least give you a clue as to what stack is loaded, and may give you the ip address of at least one interface.
it depends
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

try
$ show logical *INET_HOSTADDR
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Likely the best bet here is what Rich has mentioned:

SHOW LOGICAL *INET_ADDR*

Best guess here is that this box either has no IP, or has one of the Process IP stacks installed. If this is the Process Multinet IP stack, try:

$ MULTINET SHOW /ALL

IIRC, Process TCPware uses the netcu verb for this:

$ NETCU SHOW HOST

Process software has product documentation online at the www.process.com site.

nb: The UCX command verb won't likely be found on V7.3-2 in isolation; it is typically only present for reasons of compatibility and only in concert with the ("newer") TCPIP verb. The UCX verb was used with versions of TCP/IP Services product prior to V5.0, and it's unlikely that this box has that old a version (still) resident. The V7.3-2 upgrade will typically replace the older TCP/IP Services stack with a V5-vintage stack, and you'll have a TCPIP verb and (for reasons of compatibility) the older UCX verb.

nb: The SHOW NETWORK command isn't a particularlty reliable means of determining the IP product installed, and doesn't (I just checked a Multinet box) reliably show the IP address.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Vineet,

The most authoritative way to verify which IP stack is running on a system is to check the startup command procedure and associated files.

The default location for starting the IP stack is SYS$MANAGER:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM. If the information is not there, it may be in a file invoked by this file, or other file invoked through the STARTUP database (managed using the SYSMAN utility).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] (which used to be called "Unix
> Connection") [...]

Actually, it was the VMS Ultrix Connection.
But no matter.

Perhaps someone who knows something should
whip up a DCL procedure which would poke
around and determine which IP software is
running on a VMS system. Being able to tell
someone to run might save
everyone a lot of time in the general scheme
of things. (Perhaps someone already has,
but, if so, then it needs more publicity.)
Hoff
Honored Contributor

re: Steven, I've thought of doing that as part of a configuration investigation tool.

The downside is that you then need to explain and download that, and that leads to as much discussion around file transfers and file formats and other such.

By the time you're done here, pointing to the Multinet or netcu or UCX tool or the SHOW LOGICAL *INET_ADDR* stuff is probably just as (in)efficient as any other approach.

OpenVMS just isn't good at this stuff.