SOLVED
Go to solution
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Finding IP Address of OpenVMS system

May be we should first issue a
$ ana/sys
sh lan
and check if we have IP or not started on this node.

Then, see the name of the process who owns the device BG, and then may be we can name the IP stack.
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

I don't know about TCPware, but for both Multinet and TCP/IP Services:

$ SHOW SYSTEM/PROCESS=*INET*

and/or

$ SHOW LOGICAL *INET*

will show if one of those two stacks is installed and started.

Multinet can be (and usually should be) installed with the UCX compatability option.

I don't find a logical *INET_ADDR* but I do see *INET_HOSTADDR
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

the show logical *inet_hostaddr will work on systems running MultiNet or TCPware as MultiNet and TCPware define UCX$INET_HOSTADDR and TCPIP$INET_HOSTADDR so that applications written for TCP/IP services can run transparently on MultiNet or TCPware.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

re Steven:

>Perhaps someone who knows something should
>whip up a DCL procedure which would poke
>around and determine which IP software is
>running on a VMS system.

Already done, and already mentioned in this thread, see:

$ SHOW NETWORK [/FULL]

Product: DECNET Node: JOHNG Address(es): 1.265
Product: TCP/IP Node: johng.xyz.com.au Address(es): 10.2.20.212

It's also a stack independent mechanism for starting and stopping each network product

$ START/NETWORK DECNET
$ STOP/NETWORK "TCP/IP"

A properly conforming network stack will add itself to a "database" stored in logical names SYS$NET_SERVICES_*, which define various stack specific commands. See relevant HELP entries. I assume (but can't confirm) that Multinet uses this mechanism?
A crucible of informative mistakes
Vineet Deshpande
Frequent Advisor

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the answers and explanations so far.

The "ucx show interface" command did not work. But I did find out the output of show network which showed:-

Product: DECNET Node: Address(es):

I guess this means that DECNET service is installed while TCP/IP service is not installed on the system right?

I am going to ask to run a few command like:-

show logical *INET_HOSTADDR to see if I get the IP from there. But I have a few questions:-

1) If the service is DECNET then will the IP Address be some thing like "xx.xx" and not "xx.xx.xx.xx" ???

2) Can I take the IP address from the output of show network or show netword/full ??

Thanks,

Vineet
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Vineet,

DECnet is a completely different protocol. DECnet addresses are of the form n.m, where n is the DECnet Area address and m is the DECnet node address within that area.

If SHOW NETWORK[/FULL] does NOT show an IP address, the IP stack product did not correctly register it's IP address. It's even more likely, that there is no 'IP stack' installed.

To find all the various network protocols active on the LAN adapters of this node, issue the following commands:

$ ANAL/SYS
SDA> SHOW LAN
SDA> EXIT

This will show all active network protocols on all LAN adapters in the system (1 line per protocol). If you don't find a line with IP and/or ARP in column 'Client', then there definitely is NO IP stack installed and active.

Volker.
Vineet Deshpande
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Volker. I am checking for the same and will update as soon as possible.

- Vineet
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Vineet.
since neither the TCPIP or UCX commands work for you, then you dont appear to have TCPIP Services installed on your system.
You dont mention whether you get any response from either

$ MULTINET SHOW /ALL

or

$ NETCU SHOW HOST

so based on your answers so far, you might have one of these installed but not started.

do you have a directory called

sys$common:[tcpware] ?? If you do, then you have tcpware installed (probably). look for

SYS$COMMON:[TCPWARE]TCPWARE_CONFIGURE.COM

This is a text file so you can read it. (do not modify it until you are really comfortable with what you are doing). If the system has been previously configured, you will find the system IP address in this file. vis.

$ NETCU_LINES == "LPB-0 127.0.0.1,EIA-0 xxx.xxx.110.207 /MASK=255.255.255.0

in my case "xxx.xxx.110.207" (insert your own first two octets.)

hth

Dave.
Vineet Deshpande
Frequent Advisor

Hi All,

Our suspicion was right. I got a reply from a customer who said that half of their environment runs MultiNet and other half runs TCPIP.

It would be great if there is a command which will give me the IP Address irrespective of the stack but I don't know if that's possible. I have asked for the output of:-

SHOW NETWORK/FULL
MULTINET SHOW /ALL
show logical *INET_HOSTADDR

Is there any script or procedure I can use in case we cannot find a common command?

Thanks,

Vineet
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Vineet,

OpenVMS provides the $ SHOW NETWORK [/FULL] command mechanism for any network stack to register itself with the relevant 'show configuration' commands . The data is found in logicals, see $ SHOW LOG SYS$NET_SERVICES*

If the non-HP IP stack does not use this mechanism, please contact the vendor.

Volker.