Go to solution
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Fortran and C alignment

> What compilers/system versions do You
> have ?

Why stop there? Where's the real code?
Where's the real build procedure? Where're
the real results? What's the real problem?

All we have so far is a lot of hand-waving
and claims, but no actual failing test case
with which to work. _My_ test cases seem to
work as expected (following advice already
given here), so I'm happy.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Jenwae,

Non-natural aligned data is a long standing practice. It is admittedly difficult to imagine in these days of gigabyte hand-held devices, but not that long ago every byte, not to say bit, was precious, and data structures were packed very tightly. Remember, the original VAX-11/780 was sold in configurations of 128Kbytes [VAX-11/780 Hardware Handbook, pp 11, 1978).

The data structures used for interfacing to X-Windows were packed very tightly, and there is associated documentation. The DECnet connection block is another example of a record format that is packed non-naturally aligned. There are many others.

The pragma referred to by Hoff is placed in the external include file for the record definitions, not in "every module". If the exiting code base has COMMON block definitions in every module, that is unfortunate. The convention in C/C++ is to use the #include compiler directive to incorporate an external file (.h) containing record definitions. Typically, the #pragma directives are included in the .h file.

This does work. I would suggest that it would be appropriate to produce a small FORTRAN/C file which demonstrates the problem so that the problem can be seen precisely.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Jenwae,

One of the followup posts contained:

"Robert:
I linked with the option /map. From the map, I could see the section for C is always bigger than that of Fortran for that particular global sections."

Note the "linked with the option /map". This will not be particularly useful, while it will highlight the differences in the overall computed lengths.

One wants the COMPILER layouts of structures. This will be in the COMPILER listing. By the time the LINKER is involved, that information is all irrelevant.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

>For every short int, the C compiler will
>pad an additional 2 bytes (to make it
>natural-aligned). However for Fortran,
>it still maintain a Integer*2 (without
>padding) even after using RECORDS=NATURAL

I think C is getting it wrong. The natural alignment for a WORD (short int) is WORD alignment (ie: even byte boundaries), so you'd expect either no padding, or a single byte to move the field to an even byte boundary. If C is adding 2 bytes to longword align the field, that's a different type of alignment from the Fortran definition of "natural".

You may need to manually align your records to ensure they match across languages. Since you say you don't want to change the Fortran, use a compiler listing to determine the exact placement of fields, then use NOMEMBER_ALIGNMENT pragma in C and define the record, if necessary with your own padding to place fields where they need to be.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> I think C is getting it wrong. [...]

We still don't know what happens in the
secret code cited in the original complaint,
but in the example code which I created from
the original vague description, the C
compiler seems to do fine. The last two
"short" guys _are_ 4-byte aligned, but they
follow properly aligned 4- or 8-byte members
("long int", "double"), so they get
better-than-needed alignment as a free bonus.

> >For every short int, the C compiler will
> >pad an additional 2 bytes (to make it
> >natural-aligned).[ ...]

Remember, we have only this assertion, with
no actual evidence for it. What's true in my
actual example code is that padding is added
_after_ a "short int", so that the thing
_after_ that "short int" is getting naturally
aligned. No one is doing any padding to
super-align the "short int" members. The
only padding done is to align naturally the
guys which follow them. Which is what I'd
expect. Isn't it? I think that that's what
I expect.
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

>>
I think C is getting it wrong. The natural alignment for a WORD (short int) is WORD alignment (ie: even byte boundaries),

No, C is doing it exactly right: just arrange the shiort words in sequence, and they are aligned realluy naturally, i.e. on consecutive word addresses as one would assume. There is no 4 byte default or padding.
Only at the end of a structure C padds to the next full 8 byte boundary, so that the total length is always a multiple of 8.
Fortran does the same natural alignment, it just does not pad at the end of a common unless "multilanguage" is specified, then both compiklers padd to the next 16-byte multiple.

Just see Stevens example with rearranged variables below, with 2 consecutive shorts, and the single byte at the end forcing size=40.

#include
int main()
{
struct
{
short int cw1;
long int c21;
short int c3w;
short int c4w;
char b1[3];
short int cw5;
char b2[3];
double costr;
char b3;
} cs;

printf( " cw1: %2lld.\n", (long long) &cs.cw1- (long long) &cs);
printf( " c21: %2lld.\n", (long long) &cs.c21- (long long) &cs);
printf( " c3w: %2lld.\n", (long long) &cs.c3w- (long long) &cs);
printf( " c4w: %2lld.\n", (long long) &cs.c4w- (long long) &cs);
printf( " b1: %2lld.\n", (long long) &cs.b1- (long long) &cs);
printf( " cw5: %2lld.\n", (long long) &cs.cw5- (long long) &cs);
printf( " b2: %2lld.\n", (long long) &cs.b2- (long long) &cs);
printf( " costr: %2lld.\n", (long long) &cs.costr- (long long) &cs);
printf( " b3: %2lld.\n", (long long) &cs.b3- (long long) &cs);
printf( " size: %2d.\n", sizeof cs);
}

_HUB>cc commonc2.c
_HUB>link commonc2
_HUB>run commonc2
cw1: 0.
c21: 4.
c3w: 8.
c4w: 10.
b1: 12.
cw5: 16.
b2: 18.
costr: 24.
b3: 32.
size: 40.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Jenwae
Advisor

Hello to All of You,

Sorry for my late reply. I've been trying out a few things as per your suggestion.

OK, some of the findings to your suggestions:

Using the #pragma directives (noalignment) for this BFCCOM struct, it works brilliantly as Hoff, Steve and Robert suggested. This approach works after I build the Fortran without alignment too, using /align=(commons=packed,record=packed).

Joseph suggested using the /psect_mode=multilanguage. It works brilliantly, after I adjust the Fortran option /align=(commons=natural,record=natural).

So the clue is to use the right combination. Thank you so much to all of you. I really appreciate that. I will use Joseph's solution so that I can avoid inserting the directives.

There's still some peculiarity as to how the alignment actually works. The compiler does not behave consistently, or I could have understood the wrong way. Anyway, the content below is just for curiosity as to how the sizes can differ.

To make it more understandable, I'm using the similar code definition.

The Fortran header file BFCCOM.INC looks like this:

INTEGER*2 DATEW(400)
INTEGER*4 FILEL(400)
INTEGER*4 SIZEL(400)
INTEGER*2 CNDXW
INTEGER*2 CTOPW
LOGICAL*1 LIVT(400)
BYTE CURB
INTEGER*4 BITL(768)
BYTE CEND

COMMON /BFCCOM/ DATEW, FILEL, SIZEL,
CNDXW, CTOPW, LIVT, CURB,
BITL, CEND

The converted C equivalent is:

typedef struct bfccom {
short int datew[400];
long int filel[400];
long int sizel[400];
short int cndxw;
short int ctopw;
BYTE livt[400];
BYTE curb;
long int bitl[768];
BYTE cend;
} BFCCOM;

extern BFCCOM bfccom;

In our legacy system, we have a abc.FOR program calling a def.FOR subroutine, and both have the BFCCOM common as include, so that they can share data.

In our "new" system, we are converting code to C, but at this point of time, we need to inter-mix C and Fortran.
So we changed to abd.C calling the same def.FOR (C calling Fortran).
Obvously, we need to map the BFCCOM in C to match the one included in def.FOR so that they can share data, as before.

Hence, I compile the C using the option cc/extern_mode=common_block/member_alignment/standard=C99/float=ieee_float

I compile the Fortran using important option such as /align=(commons=natural,records=natural)

IN the abc.C routine, I did a series of printf statements for both the sizes and the starting addresses of the members. I get (size, then start address)

datew = 800 -> 0
filel = 1600 -> 800
sizel = 1600 -> 2400
cndxw = 2 -> 4000
ctopw = 2 -> 4002
clivt = 400 -> 4004
curb = 1 -> 4404
bitl = 3072 -> 4408
cend = 1 -> 7480

In the abc.FOR routine, I did the same prints, and got the same result. (the map in def.FOR is same as abc.FOR, so I use abc.FOR for convenience).

However, when I look at the map produced by each C and Fortran build, the length is different!

In the C build, I see:

Psect Name Module/Image Length
BFCCOM
ABC ( 7488.)
DEF ( 7481.)

IN the Fortran build, I see:

Psect Name Module/Image Length
BFCCOM
ABC ( 7481.)
DEF ( 7481.)

Somehow, after the build, the BFCCOM is extended by another 7 bytes in the C program! Because of this, ABC cannot successfuly share data with DEF.

I'm not sure where the padding happens, but the sizes of the following might help:
1) size of bfccom object/instance = 7484
2) sum of struct's (bfccom) member sizes = 7478
3) size of the BFCCOM in the map = 7488

I suppose C compiler pads the "bytes" CURB and CEND to natural-align to long (4 bytes), and this additional 6 bytes increase size from (2) to (1). Maybe someone can explain if you have the time.

Thanks!
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I'd probably use C pointers and the Structure Definition Language (SDL) here, and create and assign data structures. SDL lets you declare the data structures, and then load the definitions into every module using includes. And you can use these same definitions across a mixture of programming languages; C or Fortran or whatever. (This is how OpenVMS itself is built; using SDL.)

I'd not look to use strict COMMON mapping, and would not look to try to force-fit a Fortran design into some new C code.

You're writing new C code, after all. Not old Fortran code.

If you really want to do this without SDL, I'd use the following:

typedef struct bfccom {
short int *datew;
long int *filel;
long int *sizel;
short int *cndxw;
short int *ctopw;
BYTE *livt;
BYTE *curb;
long int *bitl;
BYTE *cend; } DFCCOM;

And set the pointers to the COMMON at run-time.

In particular, please stop replicating the existing Fortran limits and the existing designs. For instance, there are fixed-size arrays in the Fortran code. You don't need to do that when you're not using a COMMON, so (here) set up to use the COMMON, and when you excise the last of the Fortran code from your environment you can then use C and RTL and OpenVMS system service calls to adjust and tune and even increase the size of this stuff on the fly.

If you replicate the exact design, you can end up replicating the same old limits.
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

>>

I suppose C compiler pads the "bytes" CURB and CEND to natural-align to long (4 bytes), and this additional 6 bytes increase size from (2) to (1). Maybe someone can explain if you have the time.
>>

Don't suppose: the C padding happens at the end of the struct up to the next 8-byte border, not for individual members, as I have shown in a previous reply.
You (purpeously ?) omitted the MULTILANGUAGE option in the Fortran align, and the /PSECT_MODE=MULTILANGUAGE option in CC:
this forces both compilers to pad up to the next 16-byte border. The member alignment stays as is with natual, but the total length of the psect/common will be the same for both languages.
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
circepb

Try the following and I think it should work
$ ccxd == "CC/DecC/noopt/noWarn/Float=D_Float/SHARE_GLOBALS/extend/" + -
"EXTERN_MODEL=COMMON_BLOCK/deb/lis"