1752587 Members
4327 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Gnu cmp doesn't work with Alpha object files

Douglas Rupp
Advisor

My overall goal is development of the complete Gcc toolchain for IVMS, and to do what I have to do to keep AVMS running well. I just don't have time or motivation to keep the Gnu tools up to date or to attempt to merge in my patches to FSF (a time consuming job). Send money. :-)

Cmp is used to compare objects built during the Gcc bootstrap, and has to skip over the MHD since it contains a timestamp. It used to be the MHD was very predictably sized for Gcc bootstrap objects. That's no long the case, so this latent problem appeared.
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

Checksum/object is only available for Elf/I64 object files: it excludes data like time stamps. It was a piece of Schwarzwaelderkirsch (how do I get umlauts into this entry?) after having checksum/image.

It shouldn't be so difficult to write such a tool: the Alpha object language is documented. But, you need it today, right?
Douglas Rupp
Advisor

The suggestion to modify cmp open() with ctx=stm seems to work. I'll test it in production tonight.

Checksum for alpha does seem useful in general though.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] ctx=stm seems to work. [...]

New (2.8.7b) kits should be available at:

http://antinode.info/dec/sw/diffutils.html

Included are this "cmp" change, and a
somewhat sneaky scheme to re-jigger the
argument list for fwrite() in the generic
code, so that a difference line in redirected
output (PIPE, DEFINE SYS$OUTPUT) will
comprise one N-byte record instead of N
1-byte records. (Previously, redirected
"diff" output was approximately useless.)
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Steven said:

> (Previously, redirected
> "diff" output was approximately useless.)

Unless you use the home-grown redirection patch I sent you on 27-MAR-2009 and reattach here. With that the file is opened in C rather than DCL, which gives the user a much better chance of getting stream-oriented behavior. You also don't have to put "pipe" in front of things in order to do redirection.

Not that there's anything wrong with your approach either.
Douglas Rupp
Advisor

FYI I put the in ctx=stm patch when you first suggested it, and it's all working again. Thanks.