Re: Help Required for Decnet setup !

SOLVED
Go to solution
gunners
Frequent Advisor

Help Required for Decnet setup !

Hi There,

Need some help to configure the following scenario :

I have three VMS systems  - (SYSTEM A  (test) , SYSTEM B (test)  , and SYSTEM C (live)

All are running v8.3-1H1

I can set host from SYSTEM A to SYSTEM C

I cannot set host from SYSTEM B to SYSTEM C (as this has never been configured in the past)

I need to now set this up and dont know where to start really :/

Many thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
Hoff
Honored Contributor

You've not indicated whether the configuration is Phase IV or Phase V and (if you're not using DECnet over IP) I'd upgrade from Phase V to Phase IV.  (If you're not sure, issue the PRODUCT SHOW PRODUCT command at the DCL prompt and see which DECnet is installed.)

If you are using Phase IV: Here are the DECnet Phase IV manuals.  Follow the configuration sequence; using NETCONFIG.COM.

If you have more than one NIC on your OpenVMS host, and if more than one NIC on that same host is connected to the same network segment or the same VLAN, and if you are using Phase IV, then shut all all but one controller using NCP. These are the SET and DEFINE the LINE and CIRCUIT to STATE OFF sequences within NCP.

Make sure all DECnet hosts are in the same DECnet area.

Make sure the DECnet Phase IV network address matches the SCSSYSTEMID value.

Confirm that what is probably a managed network permits DECnet traffic, and that all hosts are in the same VLAN.  That there are no IP routers as the only connection between the hosts,

Or call in somebody that groks DECnet, as these are usually pretty quick to troubleshoot, but the scope of the potential errors is larger than can reasonably be included in a forum.  Or read through the manuals for either Phase IV or Phase V.

gunners
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Hoff , ok yikes this is not going to be a simple few commands so by the sounds of :(

It is running DECNET_PLUS V8.3-1H1 according to the product show product

Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you don't need DECnet over IP, then I'd upgrade from Phase V to Phase IV.  In various ways, Phase IV is much more advanced software than V; it is easier to manage, and substantially more resource-efficient.

If you need DECnet over IP, then you'll end up reading the DECnet Phase V manuals, and using the NET$CONFIGURE and DECNET_REGISTER tools to get the network working and the hosts registered.  To that end:

$ @SYS$MANAGER:NET$CONFIGURE ADVANCED
$ RUN SYS$SYSTEM:DECNET_REGISTER

But I'd recommend the V > IV upgrade.

And do trust what the local networking folks tell you, but always verify it.  Most of the networking folks I've worked with in recent years don't have particular experience with networking protocols other than IP, so some of the information you might receive and some of the network settings that might be in force are tailored for IP networking and not for DECnet.

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

"$ write sys$output f$getsyi("decnet_version")"  is another test for installed version.  If the result contains just a 4 (0004000) in byte 2 you're using Phase IV.  If the response has a 5 in byte 2 (00050D01) you're running OSI/Phase V/DECnet-Plus.  Bytes 1 and 0 in the Phase V result will contain ECO information.

I agree with Hoff.  If you don't need to use DECnet across a WAN then Phase V is overkill.  If your network needs for communicating between OpenVMS hosts is contained in one room, one rack, one network switch or, possibly, one local VLAN then Phase IV is much simpler to install and maintain.  But if you need DECnet to communicate across campus or even to more remote sites you'll need to be sure that your network equipment has the ability to deliver those Phase IV packets correctly to the right destination(s).  This can be an *extra cost* item for some network giblets.

bob

Hoff
Honored Contributor

I wrote a kernel patch to resolve an unexpected response from those DECNET_VERSION $getsyi queries.  FWIW.

The WAN pieces Bob Blunt is referring to are the DECnet over IP.  

On a campus network using most any of the common managed networking gear, DECnet Phase IV can be bridged or VLAN'd, too.

One of the third-party IP stacks can bridge Phase IV over their IP stack.

Or downgrade to Phase V.

Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

You say you "cannot set host from SYSTEM B to SYSTEM C". What error do you get when you try it?
gunners
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jeremy / and all , I actually got this sorted , I was able to set h to the address of the other server so I knew it was just a case then of having to then register the node itself. Thanks all for the direction / help