Operating System - OpenVMS
1754277 Members
3228 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How come VMS Perl requires user written extensions to be installed?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Tim,

On how to say "thanks" in these forums, please review

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Tim,

>I don't think there is a way out of this.

There's ALWAYS a way out! You just have to understand your objectives, and what's really going on :-)

> They also link with a bunch of shareable
>images, some of them are installed with
>privs.
>
This concerns me. SHAREABLE images should not be installed with privilege. It doesn't do anything useful, but can cause image activation problems (like yours). See:

$ HELP INSTALL ADD/PRIV - in particular the bit that says:

o The /PRIVILEGED qualifier applies only to executable images.

Just to make sure we're prefectly clear on this, if you RUN the image you can give it privileges, if you LINK against an image, you CANNOT give that image privileges, and should not INSTALL the image with /PRIVILEGE.

Try removing the privileges from ALL shareable images you link against and try again. This should not break anything. Ask anyone who objects to explain exactly what /PRIVILEGE is buying them other than problems. As I said in my first response:

Standard reminder... there is NO SUCH THING as a "privileged shareable image".

(OK, there's ONE potential use for a shareable image installed with privilege, that's when it also contains a transfer address - kind of a hybrid executable image and shareable image - it is possible, but rarely done in practice, and not recommended. In that case if you INSTALL the image with privilege, you'll get the privileges if you RUN the image, but not if it's activated as a shareable image. IF you have one of these beasts, it's a simple matter of splitting up the main program part and shareable routines part, then linking them separately. As far as I know, this, and fanatical adherance to upwards compatibility, are the only reasons the /PRIVILEGE qualifier hasn't been blocked for shareable images in INSTALL)
A crucible of informative mistakes