Operating System - OpenVMS
1753532 Members
5991 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to force prompt to enter current time, at system startup?

Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

How to force prompt to enter current time, at system startup?

OpenVMS v6.2 (VAX emulated by CHARON-VAX).

Is there a boot flag or some other manual intervention that will require the current time to be entered when VMS is booting (like Standalone Backup always does)?

I have an email in to SRI about possibly deleting CHARON.DAT (where the TOY clock is kept), but I'm not sure that's a good idea (I thought of it ;-) I believe other items such as default boot device are also in that file.

Cheers,
Art
4 REPLIES 4
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Set the system parameter SETTIME to 1 and the system will ask for the datetime on every boot.

Art,

See also TIMEPROMPTWAIT - depending on the setting I think it can override SETTIME (ie: if TIMEPROMPTWAIT=0?)

You also have the fun of working out what a uFortnight is :-)

A crucible of informative mistakes
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

The help for TIMEPROMPTWAIT is educational.

"The time unit of micro-fortnights is approximated as seconds in the implementation"

and a discussion if what happens if the value is 32768 or more.

Art,

you need to set SETTIME = 1 and TIMEPROMPTWAIT to a 'negative' value (i.e. 32768 through 65535). This combination will cause SYSINIT to prompt forever, until a valid time has been entered. This will (most likely) not work in a cluster, as the system time is taken from another node in the cluster.

Deleting CHARON.DAT is not such a good idea, as it also stores the 'NVRAM' parameters (like boot device, root, HALT settings). But deleting that file WILL cause OpenVMS to ask for the time during boot.

Volker.