4749 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to transfer file from OpenVMS to Windows XP

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

How to transfer file form OpenVMS to Windows Xp,

The home page for Columbia University's Kermit project is at http://www.columbia.edu/kermit

Executable files are available for a number of OpenVMS versions, including Alpha with 7.3-2. Columbia's site is accessible using HTTP or anonymous FTP.

The client side can either be the C-Kermit available for Windows, or support for Kermit file transfers that already exists in most PC-based terminal emulations.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Hoff
Honored Contributor

This whole "file transfer" area can get larger and more complex as things here proceed.

Getting ftp going is but one part of the complete package that is OpenVMS system management. And there may well be alternatives to using ftp to transfer this stuff around. And there can be issues around whether the files that are being transferred will arrive both readable and uncorrupted. Others have not yet mentioned, for instance, that various of the standard OpenVMS RMS sequential text file formats on OpenVMS are NOT directly compatible with Windows. VFC sequential files, for instance, won't be directly usable on Windows. You'll usually need to use or to convert to Stream or Stream LF sequential files here, if you're reading and using the file data on Windows. (Bob has mentioned that some common OpenVMS RMS file formats will be corrupted when transferred through Windows boxes. That happens with various common RMS file organizations, and can cause issues for BACKUP savesets and such, too.)

And C-Kermit is an option here (it's old, but effective) and I've also recommended FileZilla tool for Windows users. (Google C-Kermit or FileZilla for details and downloads.)

While I am not looking to talk you off of using OpenVMS here, it seems time to evaluate whether OpenVMS is an appropriate solution for your environment; to consider replacing or porting whatever application(s) might be running on OpenVMS here with an application and an operating system that is better suited for your particular local requirements and to best match your local skills and experience.

If upon review OpenVMS is deemed still the most appropriate (and most cost-effective) solution, then it is time to invest in up-rating local management skills, or in acquiring some sort of an escalation or support channel. Whether that's reading the manuals or acquiring and reading the books or attending classroom training or otherwise; with however you learn best.

As you're clearly discovering, OpenVMS is completely different than Microsoft Windows, and (coming over from a Windows background) OpenVMS management and monitoring and general system manager operations are going to be strange. And these tasks are typically going to be command-line based, and will be using various cryptic tools and procedures and sequences. (For better or worse, system administration by "winging it" generally isn't feasible on OpenVMS. Though yes, the OpenVMS Management Station (OMS) was an attempt to provide that "winging it" user interface for Windows users.)

There are also secondary questions here around whether the AlphaServer DS10 box here is operating effectively and efficiently here, and with adequate BACKUP coverage for data and applications. Whether the application(s) running on this box can survive and can be recovered after a disk crash, for instance. (If you're the OpenVMS system manager here, then somebody (your manager?) has "tossed you into the deep end of the pool", and you're going to want to ask your manager for assistance and guidance and for time to learn or to train here.) (nb: we all started out knowing nothing about OpenVMS.)

And you're correct; OpenVMS does not have a particularly forgiving nor simple nor newbie-friendly command UI.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

> Hi Doug Phillips,
> - Sorry I could not find $ MULTINET CONFIG
> /SERVER in my system.

That was my mistake. You are using TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS, not MULTINET, but the thread next to yours was about MULTINET and my old mind carried that into your thread. Sorry.

As Volker and others have pointed out, your FTP server is currently set to accept connections only from host OPE1, as shown in your Oct 2, 2009 09:14:30 GMT post:

> $ TCPIP SHO SERV FTP /FULL
> ...
> Accept host: OPE1
>

Apparently this is wrong so you need to correct it. Reading what $TCPIP HELP SET SERVICE and specifically the sub-topic /ACCEPT says will help you figure out how to do that. If you have a network administrator, please check with that person before you change the access restrictions.

Once you have corrected this problem you may use one of the described methods to copy your files. Since you are using Reflection, that would be a good method to use because it does a good job of allowing for the differences between Windows and OpenVMS (as stated in paquins' post).

I mostly use Kermit, but if you don't have it use one of the other methods already available to you.

(The fact that this forum software doesn't show the entire thread during a reply is a real Pain In The A**.)
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

See the help for TCPIP SET SERVICE at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732final/6527/6527pro_011.html#set_serv_comm.

Your FTP server is configured to only accept connections from OPE1. You can add your system name or it's ip address to this configuration. If your VMS system has DNS available for your workstation you can use the name.

$ TCPIP SET SERVICE FTP/ACCEPT=HOST=
$ @sys$startup:tcpip$ftp_shutdown
$ @sys$startup:tcpip$ftp_startup

Before jumping on this, you may wish to check why this enabled to begin with. Do you have a security policy or access restrictions in your organization which apply?

Besides C-Kermit,Advanced Server (aka Pathworks) is another package which allows the VMS system to present network shares to Windows based systems. Most Alphas shipped a limited number of license for this connectivity.

And of course you can consider hiring a consultant to review your requirements, make recommendations and provide training.

Andy Bustamante
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Hoangles
Frequent Advisor

Hi Volker Halle,
I'm sorry for the mistake, pls see my IP as bellows:
TTLES1-TTCES 6_4 $ tcpip show int
Packets
Interface IP_Addr Network mask Receive Send MTU

LO0 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 10 10 4096
WE2 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.0 2340669 2152836 1500
WE3 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0 4251124 3934025 1500
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> is your PC named OPE1 ? I don't think so.
>
> If not, FTP will reject your connection
> attempt.
>
> Accept host: OPE1 <<<
>
> FTP on your OpenVMS host is explicitly
> configured to only accept FTP connections
> from host OPE1. [...]

> - No, My PC is OPIF1, I don't understand
> "Accept host: OPE1"

It means what he said. And what TCPIP HELP
SET SERVICE /ACCEPT says:

[...]
o /ACCEPT=HOST=(host)

- Grants host or hosts access to the service.

- Denies access to all other hosts.
[...]

So. if you expect FTP to work from OPIF1,
then you need to add OPIF1 to the list of
accepted hosts. (Or start accepting FTP
connections from anywhere.)