108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to understand the SLS backup running process

SOLVED
Go to solution
Davor_7
Regular Advisor

How to understand the SLS backup running process

i checked the SYSBAK.COM file and knew that it contains the parameters needed in the backup job
so, i can run an individual backup job by $stor startup system_backup SYSBAK.COM

but, if i want to run a scheduled automatical job for backup. how can i do ? how does the system know when the backup should be started ?(the start_time parameter is in SYSBAK file,how does system get this time and run the job on time ?)
19 REPLIES 19
Bradford Hamilton
Regular Advisor

Re: How to understand the SLS backup running process

!so, i can run an individual backup job by !$stor startup system_backup SYSBAK.COM
!
!but, if i want to run a scheduled automatical !job for backup. how can i do ? how does the !system know when the backup should be started !?(the start_time parameter is in SYSBAK !file,how does system get this time and run the !job on time ?)

You could simply create a command file with the STORAGE STARTUP command, and SUBMIT the "wrapper" command file.

I haven't played with SLS in a few years, but IIRC, you can create .BAK files that contain time of day and day of week "symbol" assignments, as well. There is, I recall, a detached job run by SLS once per night, that looks for these .BAK files, and "schedules" them to run.

Folks who currently use SLS can fill in any details I have left out - I haven't used it since 2002.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

If you have a backup job defined in a file SLS$SYSBAK:XXXX_SBK.COM you can start it by
$ STORAGE START SYSTEM_BACKUP XXXX

At midnight or when you restart SLS then SLS will at SLS$SYSBAK:XXXX_SBK.COM files and schedule batch jobs in the SLS batch queue according to the parameters in the file.

thanks Miller
!At midnight or when you restart SLS then SLS will at SLS$SYSBAK:XXXX_SBK.COM files and schedule batch jobs in the SLS batch queue according to the parameters in the file.

you mean that the parameter(TIME_1) will actually control the backup starting time and submit it into batch queue, right ?

BTW, if my BAK.COM file is not in SLS$SYSBAK directory. how can i submit a individual job? $stor startup system_backup [directory]***.bak.com ?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

The xxx_SBK.COM file is required to be in SLS$SYSBAK.

See HELP STORAGE START SYSTEM_BACKUP

The TIME_1,DAYS_1, parameters control when the batch job will be queued for.

thanks!
and i have other parameters can not be understood...

1.could you explain this one by one for me?
qualifiers :== /record/since=backup/igno=(interlock,nobackup)/media_format=compaction/bloack_size=65024/fast

2.DENSITY :== 0
(1)this means no compaction, right? but why it's ")/media_format=compaction" in the Question-1?
(2)the default value is 6250(from SYSBAK.TEMPLATE),what's the unit of 6250?

3.REEL_SIZE == 2400
what's the reel size ?

4.QUICHLOAD_RETRIES == 80
it's 80 seconds or 80 trials ?
(if it's 80 sec)it will try to mount the disk which is in the drive? if it cannot mount it on or the disk is not free, after the 80 sec, what will it do ? try to load the next tape in and mount? (if it's right, after trying all tapes in the slot, will it restart to try the first tape ?)

5.SAVESET_GEN == "F$EXTRA(0,15,DO_DISK)+"".BAK"""
there are many """" here, i cannot seperate them, could you tell me the function of quote marks one by one?

many questions,... hehe~ sorry for that, i'm a green hand :P
thanks indeed in advance !
Bradford Hamilton
Regular Advisor

1.could you explain this one by one for me?
qualifiers :== /record/since=backup/igno=(interlock,nobackup)/media_format=compaction/blo
ack_size=65024/fast

These are all qualifiers for BACKUP - record, fast, and since=backup all indicate an incremental backup. igno=interlock is standard, ignore=nobackup is not - has the potential for making backups a lot longer than they need to be. block_size=65024 is close to the maximum blocking factor for files to be put on tape. The various qualifiers for the BACKUP command are important to learn - I suggest study of the relevant section(s) of the System Manager's Manual to gain a better understanding of BACKUP. SLS will be easier to understand with this background.
Bradford Hamilton
Regular Advisor

2.DENSITY :== 0
(1)this means no compaction, right? but why it's ")/media_format=compaction" in the Question-1?
(2)the default value is 6250(from SYSBAK.TEMPLATE),what's the unit of 6250?

3.REEL_SIZE == 2400
what's the reel size ?

Also, study of the SLS manuals will be helpful here, as well. The 6250 value refers to bpi - a measurement important in the day of reel-to-reel tape drives. 2400 refers to the number of feet on the tape reel. I'm not sure if these parameters are important today, but a check of the SLS manual(s) may help.
Davor_7
Regular Advisor

thanks Hamilton
but i cannot find "SLS" in system manual, is there any special document for SLS?