Operating System - OpenVMS
1748073 Members
4494 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I need to explain why PIDs > 2170(hex) are occurring

Gavin Medbery

I need to explain why PIDs > 2170(hex) are occurring

My mom has to request a change to some stupid code which checks if a PID is valid by if the number is greater or equal to 2170[hex] (which is 10,000[dec]). The problem is that she can't get it signed off until she can explain why this check is failing a lot more over the past to weeks. Now I normaly wouldn't care at all, but yesterday she gave me the report to do, oh...joy.
13 REPLIES 13
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Did you ask your mom which operating system
we're dealing with here? Care to reveal it?
Gavin Medbery

OpenVMS
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Gavin,

OpenVMS Process IDs vary for all number of reasons. The only guarantee reported in the Internals and Data Structure manual is that the "high bit will never be set" [IDSM, Alpha 7.0, pp 225].

To be precise, SHOW SYSTEM displays the Extended PID [ibid]. The EPID is described in detail in the IDSM [ibid, pp 282, et seq.] and includes:

- the node sequence number (in clusters, 2 bits)
- the node index (clusters, 8 bits)
- the process sequence number (7-16 bits) and
- the process index (14-5 bits)

The boundary between the last two is sliding.

Presuming that there is any pattern to process ID assignments is generally a poor strategic choice. Even if a particular process appears to get the same process ID, there are no guarantees. Additionally, if a process is restarted for some reason (e.g., Queue Manager), the process number will change.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> OpenVMS

That's a start. Version? Hardware?

Cluster? I assume not. Around here:

alp $ show process

1-MAR-2009 18:01:20.01 User: SMS Process ID: 2020048A
[...]

Why would you expect a limit of 10000 on a
process ID?
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Pid's do not wrap at 9999.
Badly broken software might like it do but is has no business expecting that.
Maybe is wraps at Hex FFFF, but I don't really know (any more) and I don't care because no proper software should care.

A sign-off to stop checking PID ranges is well worth it.

Now BATCH job entry number (used to) recycle.
Maybe that's the problem?

fwiw,
Hein.

David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

You can make the code a little less stupid by having is use $GETJPI on the PID to get the JPI$_PROC_INDEX and having it use that instead of the PID. PROC_INDEX is always in the range 1 to MAXPROCESSCNT (sysgen value).
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Gavin,

check Bob G's answer, 1st dash:
in a cluster it is even GUARANTEED to be (much) larger. PIDs are 8 char hex numbers, and in a cluster the first digit is always >= 2. Th e first 3 digits are the same for any process on a specific node in the cluster, and as long as the cluster is not completely dissolved, any new boot raises that 3-digit number by 2.

( I never found out what happens if THAT overflows, never got over 7xx )

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Gavin,

As David Jones has observed in his post, it would be slightly better to check the PROC_INDEX, rather than the PID.

However, since the original post does not specify the context, I recommend extreme caution.

The OP did not mention if this is a real-time check on a running system, or a ex-post facto check against some log or accounting file.

If it is a check on (emphasis "ON") the current system, then some additional components can be checked (e.g., the Process Index against MAXPROCESSCNT). However, if this is not a check on the current system against a PID from the current running system, such a presumption would not be valid.

Depending on the internal structure of the PID is not, insofar as I know, a supported feature and should not be relied upon in any form. While it has been so for many years, there is no guarantee that it will not change in some way in the future. The only guarantee is that no two processes will have the same Process ID at the same time (in the same cluster).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Gavin,

What type of software does your mom work on?

Specifically are the PIDs you are referring to Process IDentification numbers, or something else? You really need to look at the code and determine why the programmer thought that PID values under 10,000 were valid.

Re:"she can't get it signed off until she can explain why this check is failing a lot more over the past to weeks."

In general, if something starts behaving differently, it is because something changed.

You or your mom are in a better position to determine what has changed than anyone here.
it depends