108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Image backup not found on tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

Image backup not found on tape

I am helping a site recover from a flood. Upon arrival I discovered that none of the tapes had image backups for two of the system disks that were in the backup schedule on the tapes. After much work, I have the two nodes that were lost recovered to new hardware so I turned my attention to the backups. Cluster is a 3 node lan cluster with each node having its own system disk. They were only running backups from one node which had the other two system disks mounted. I reviewed the backup job and I did not see a problem with the command. No warnings are given during the backup, in fact it seems to indicate that the disks are backed up.

Last night I specifically set the job off myself and watched it exit with no errors. I loaded the tape and did a listing out to a file, all disks were there except for the two system disks mscp mounted from the other nodes. The backup command occurs after the tape is initted:

backup/nocrc/block=65534/ignore=(label,inter)/image /journal=journaldir:filename/media=compaction diskname: tapename:diskname.bck/save

I logged on to one of the nodes whose system disk was not backing up. I ran a simple image backup of its system disk to its tapedrive and listed the saveset and the files were there.

What in the world am I missing? System is ds15a running VMS 7.3-2. System is only up to update v9.0. Thanks in advance for any help.
25 REPLIES 25
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Image backup not found on tape

Hello

you say the backup is on tapename:diskname.bck/save

Is tapename a logical pointing to nl: ?

I notice backup/nocrc
While recent tapes handle the crc, older tapes do not deal with this, but I do not think this may be the problem.

A backup/list of the tape shows what ? an empty save-set, no save-set at all ?
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Mike,

I would second the comment to check that logical and I would expand it to I would like to see the entire logfile.

Even though /NOCRC saves some processing, I have seen it uncover problems so I do NOT generally recommend /NOCRC.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

Tapename is just what i put in or purposes of the question. It is really mkb600:

A listing of savesets shows all the other savesets except the two remote system disks. They are just not there. I did a listing so I could see every file on the tape just to be sure.

The /nocrc works for the other drives so I dont think that is it.

Just now I used the tape drive on one of the systems that is not showing up on the tape to backup the system drive of one of the other cluster members. Just a quick and dirty backup job and it worked with no problem. I put a /log on the backup job and saw every file going to tape. I did the listing out to a file and all the files are there.

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Are you sure the backup command gets executed ? Do you have a log of it ? No "exit" before the backup command to disable them ?

Wim
Wim
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

$ show logical mkb600 yields nothing
$ show device mkb600 gives

nodename$mkb600:
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

backup job consists of a list of disk and a subroutine to do the actual backup. It actually goes through one by one. One of these is first in the list, the other is third. No exits and I actually watched it run. What I want to try next is to run the job with the /log on the backup command.
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

How long does it last ? 5 seconds or a more reasonable 20 minutes ?

May be you can check in SDA the open channels, and if the tape is used ?
sda> sh proc/id=xxx/chan

and a basic
sh dev mkb600:/fu
does show the item
Operations completed
increasing during the backup ?
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Was the journal file created ? Anything in it ? May be errors were redirected with set mes or define sys$error ?

Wim
Wim
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

The journal file shows both missing disk and their files. I am not seeing any errors or problems listed?