New Discussion юеВ

Re: Image backup not found on tape

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mike,

Just a quick suggestion for you to establish the underlying problem, based on my own experience. If you can modify the backup job, try the following:

- at the start of the job, do a
$ SHOW DEV D
to list all disk devices

- immediately prior to the BACKUP command, do a
$ SHOW DEV/FULL 'device'
where 'device' is the device about to be backed up.

This way you will know exactly the state of your disks when BACKUP is running.

Regards,
Jeremy Begg
Ian P
Occasional Advisor

Hi all, Not here ofteen but...

IMHO it is not wise to keep system disks mounted on any systems other than the owners. This is one example of what can occur, another is the inability to mount the system disk at boot time because of an "another volume with the same name" type error, probably only occurs when shadowed.

Suggestion, only mount the remote disks when you actually need them, put some F$GETDVI's in place to verify the status of those disks both before and after mounting and raise alarms if there appears to be a problem. And dismount them when done.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

@ Ian P,

>>>
another is the inability to mount the system disk at boot time because of an "another volume with the same name" type error,
<<<

Excuse me, but if you EVER encounter such error, it is HIGH TIME to review your config, or more precise, your boot procedures!

__EACH__ device should be, and if it has ever been in the config, it _IS_, uniquely named.
If your procedures use the fully qualified names ie, using $ALLCLASS$ or nodename$diskname syntax (as thy should in a cluster environment), then this error will NOT occur!

This looks more like a mount-verify remote-mounted type of situation.

Mike: maybe you should modify the backup procedure to verify that each disk _IS_ present, available, and mounted at the node running the Backup procedure. Available through simple F$GETDVI functions.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Ian P
Occasional Advisor

Excuuuuse me, Jan, but with all due respect you have forgotten that device names can and do change during the boot process. If your system disk is shadowed, it starts as a DK, DG or whatever and ends up as a DSA device when the shadow device is formed.

So you mount system A's system disk on system B, then system A reboots it attempts to mount EG $1$dka0 and fails because there is a DSA device with the same volume label. A similar scenario can occur if you use SCSI device naming.

Cheers, Ian
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

I finally got an email from the site with the backup script. I have sanitized it of any site information. I am about to close this but I remember a couple of requests for the backup script.
Mike Smith_33
Super Advisor

Thanks everyone for all your help. Turns out, the image backup was not making it to the tape. The site was relying on a summary email and had not reviewed the actual backup log file. The disk mount state on the backups node appears to have been the problem.