5130 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Java 6 update patch for OpenVMS when ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ph Vouters
Valued Contributor

Re: Java 6 update patch for OpenVMS when ?

Dear Toine,

I still have a pending issue on Java V6.0 dealing with lib$signal(SS$_DEBUG) called from within a JNI. This is described at http://vouters.dyndns.org/tima/OpenVMS-Java-V6.0-A_user_experience_with_OpenVMS_IA64_Java_V6.0.html

Neither with JNA nor JNI tests did I suffer using Java/VMS/IA64 from the symptom you describe.

Would you be possible you send me a reproducer to my email account you own ? I then shall be able to do tests and attempt find if not a solution hopefully at least a temporary workaround.

Note that I intend to test using both Java and C. With C, I'll use direct calls dlopen/dlsym/dlclose which are the underneath Java/VMS/IA64 calls.

Best regards,
Philippe
Rick Retterer
Respected Contributor
Solution

Toine,
Are you using the java command line argument "-Djava.awt.headless=" on your java command-line?

If so I have a workaround...

As a workaround, try doing this:

1) $ set process/parse=extend

2) $ Rename SYS$COMMON:[JAVA$60.JRE.LIB.IA64.HEADLESS]JAVA$MAWT_SHR.EXE;1 -
_$ SYS$COMMON:[JAVA$60.JRE.LIB.IA64.HEADLESS] java$mawt_shr.exe ??!<<├Г -------same image name, but lowercase

Rename the file JAVA$MAWT_SHR.EXE from uppercase to lowercase characters and then test your application again.

Engineering is aware of this issue, and are working to fix it as quickly as possible.

Let us know the results of your test.

Rick

- Rick Retterer

Toine_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Rick,

I renamed the file below and now my java application is working OK.

$ Rename SYS$COMMON:[JAVA$60.JRE.LIB.IA64.HEADLESS]JAVA$MAWT_SHR.EXE;1 -
_$ SYS$COMMON:[JAVA$60.JRE.LIB.IA64.HEADLESS] java$mawt_shr.exe

Thanks,

Toine
Rick Retterer
Respected Contributor

Toine,
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that it's working now.

This issue will be fixed in a future release of Java. Keep monitoring the OpenVMS Java website periodically...

When it's fixed, the Java release notes will outline it and announce that it has been fixed.

Engineering is trying to get it into the next kit, but it has not been confirmed. It may be a couple of versions out before it gets fixed but the workaround will get you past it for now.

Cheers,
Rick
- Rick Retterer