SOLVED
Go to solution
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: LAN failover

Steve,
LAT can work on two different interfaces. See:
$ mcr latcp help create link example

If you have multiple interfaces and want to use only on of them, but LAT selects the wrong one by default, I think you can control this with the logical name LAT$DEVICE
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello Wim,

you really should consider the DNS path. Since your network setup must be pretty static (else the solution with the hosts file would not work at all ;-), setting up DNS is mostly a one time effort with very low maitenance. This should be easier to achieve than to re certify all your applications for another release. You can easily run the DNS server on one of your VMS boxes, but also for VMS to act as a client only works fine.

Greetings, Martin
Bob Kortlandt
Occasional Advisor

Hi Wim,

Maybe a little late, but what the heck...

TCPIP 5.4 has FailSAFE IP in it, which does exactly what you want to. If you can't install it, maybe you can use the principle to build something yourself.

Failsafe IP compares the send and receive buffers. If the send buffers are increasing, and the receive buffers are not, (wihtin -default- 5 sec) the interface is disabled, and the spare interface is enabled.

Hope this helps..

Bob.
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Wim,

The easiest way is to create a clusteralias over both networkcards. So every card has it's own IP adres, and create a IP clusteralias over both NIC-cards. The user connects to the clusteralias and if one card fails (the impersonator) the otherone is without notice taking over the conrtol. This is supported on youre versions. So you can implement this very easaly whitout upgrading anything ! I've tested this. When you're connected to the machine over IP, and remove the networkcable to the impersonator(to make sure this card creates a failure :-) ! ) you don't even know there was a failure because everything works fine and you do not lose youre connect (even by moving to another NIC !!). So every node on my cluster has 2 NIC-cards, an every node has a cluster alias. Sounds wheard, but is working fine. I do not have a cluste alias for the whole cluster. This is done by round-robin over the clusteraliasses.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I'm going to test it too. Thanks Anton.

Wim
Wim
Marc Van den Broeck
Trusted Contributor

Wim,

the solution of Anton van Ruitenbeek really is a good one. You can compare it with a dual host cluster. There you also have two network cards but by creating a cluster alias this looks virtually like one machine.

Marc
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

For those who are interested : DSM / DDP can not handle 2 cards on the same network.
Wim