108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LD on 7.3-1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

LD on 7.3-1

According the documentation, LDDriver is 'latent' on VMS 7.3-1. Surely I overlooked it, but I couldn't find anything on how to enable it.
I may have made a mistake after that: I installed it (but didn't purge the files), started the driver (@SYS$STARTUP:LD$STARTUP) and I could create a container using the LD command, initialize and mount it.
However, after having logged off and back in again, any attempt fails:

BPS2004A> LD
%CLI-F-SYNTAX, error parsing 'COMMAND'
-CLI-E-ENTNF, specified entity not found in command tables
BPS2004A>

even if I try to do

$ set command LDCLD.CLD

that gives not an error at all.(I put this in my login.com, but issuing the command manually has no effect either)

Luckily I could reverse the install (remove all new files, due to install - since I didn't purge...) but the error keeps turning up.

What is the answer to this (apart from restoring the system disk)

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
8 REPLIES 8
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: LD on 7.3-1

sounds like a mismatch with the program and the cld parahhaps. IIRC have a look at SYS$MANAGER:CDRECORD.COM to see how it creates the container file. There may be an embedded cld file there.

If it's there and loaded, you would have a device LDA0: as the template device. This is created by LD$STARTUP.COM in SYS$STARTUP:

Try also the commands

LD CREATE SYS$LOGIN:TESTFILE.DSK/SIZ=1000

and

LD CONNECT SYS$LOGIN:TESTFILE.DSK

This should respond with a message like

%LD-I-UNIT, Allocated device is $255$LDA1:

LD DISCONNECT LDA1: reverses the connect.
"Try not! Do, or Do not. There is no try!"
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Ian,
CDRECORD has indeed a LDCLD.CLD embedded, I didn't compare it with the one that came with LD063 kit (on FreewareCD 5), but I doubt it would be very different.
Steve,
Since the driver has been loaded (manually, following the installation log), there IS a LDA0 device. "SHOW DEV LD" shows me, but it seems it is named "$LDA0".

There might be a mismatch between the command and the executable - but I do not understand that the problem arose after I logged out and back in again. I did check SYS$LIBRARY:DCLTABLES.EXE - there was a new version, with a creation date (actually: time) on the moment I installed LD063. But even that didn't work. Could it have been that DCLTABLES is installed, and that a newer version neede to be installed first? That might explain the behaviour.

Willem
Willem Grooters
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Willem,

two points:

1.) Make sure you do use the right command tables. Check the file version you have with install list vs. the dcltables you have on disk. If they are not the same to an install list.

2.) Command is a mandatory part for LD. Try a
ld create as suggested earlier. What error do
you get in this case (or none?).

3.) If all of the above fail, use verb to examine your DCL tables.

See http://zinser.no-ip.info/vms/sw/verb.htmlx

for sources.

Greetings, Martin
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I suspect Martin is on to the right track. DCLTABLES is always installed. You have to INSTALL REPLACE the new version then logout/in.
Or parahaps you want to go back a version.

The idea crossed my mind as well...
However, I still have some questions.
Afetr I installed LD (LD063) it DID work; I could create a container (LD CREATE...), but lost the ability to use LD AFTER logout/login.
I would expect that the _original_ DCLTABLES.EXE would work (with the _original_ files) but even THAT fails. I got the very same error running CDRECORD.COM (as installed out-of-the-box on the 7.3-1 system).

Either I have a mismatch in executable (given the date of it, NO) or DCLTABLES.EXE as installed. I'll check that anyway.
Willem Grooters
Heuser-Hofmann
Frequent Advisor

One important remark:

Don't use the freeware version of the lddriver.

If you access a container file > 4 GB you'll get a bugcheck.

The original lddriver that comes with V7.3-1 is the correct version.

eberhard
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

-- Solved --

It turned out there was a symbol LD, as a foreign command.....After I deleted that symbol, problem was solved.
But OTOH: Thanks Martin. That indeed was at least part of the trouble.
I found DCLTABLES.EXE;87 was installed, but the latest valid version was ;83.
(Funny - I did delete the file, but there was no problem in that, nor had any collegue a problem at login...).

Anyway, it seems to work now.

Eberhard:
You're right, but as long as your containers are less then 4Gb, there is no problem.

Points granted.
Willem Grooters