Operating System - OpenVMS

Re: Latest version of netacp on vms 7.1-2 ?

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rudy,

could you also provide the 'crash history' of this node ($ TYPE CLUE$HISTORY) ?

Does the 'other' CHARON instance on this Windows Server also have 2 CPUs ?

Volker.

Rudy_De_Keyser
Advisor

Volker,

My mistake, my memory was failing, the other system is a ds10 and not a ds20, so only one cpu. So indeed, big difference.

Looking at the charon config file of the ds20, I did set the number of io cpus to 2, I might set it to 1 and see if it behaves better.

Clue$history is attached.

Rudy

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rudy,

thanks for the CLUE$HISTORY file. Let me guess, CHARON-AXP/DS20 has been implemented shortly before 13-MAY-2012. What happened on this system between 7-JUN-2012 and 22-DEC-2012 ? Why were there no BADQHDR crashes ?

If the customer agrees, change 'set session n_of_cpus=2' to 1 in the CHARON config file or just issue a STOP/CPU 01 under OpenVMS and see if the frequency of crashes drops.

Changing the numer of 'IO CPUs' won't help. Those are the additional Windows CPUs/cores reserved by the CHARON emulator to support IO.

Note that these BADQHDR crashes can ONLY happen on SMP-systems, i.e. systems with MORE THAN 1 active CPU ! This specific crash needs 2 CPUs accessing the same memory location simultaneously.

Please consider to escalate this problem to Stromasys for additional analysis. The underlying reasons may still be pool corruption, but why should that start after migration to CHARON-AXP ?

Volker.