New Discussion юеВ

Lib-F-negtime error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dipali
Occasional Advisor

Lib-F-negtime error

Hi

i would like to know when LIB-F-Negtime error occur in vms system.what is reason for it.and what is solution to avoid it.
Details are os version=Openvms v8.2
Occurance of error:- received this error when batch job ran then log having this error.

Dipali.
9 REPLIES 9
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

Re: Lib-F-negtime error

You don't note which facility within the batch job - basically the error is saying that the software computed the difference of two times and the result was negative. Errors of this sort usually occur when the system clock is set back in time and your software is comparing the current time with what is thought to have been a previous time. Was your system clock changed during the run of the batch job.
Dipali
Occasional Advisor

hi i recvd the error as follows

%LIB-F-NEGTIM, a negative time was computed
17:03:26, Mailing main logfile

Dipali
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

No much info to go on there. Is command line verification "on" during the batch job? Was this a one time occurance or is it repeatable? If you can repeat it - execute the batch job with a "$ SET VERIFY" early in the command stream so that it becomes obvious which program is output-ing the message.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Dipali,
try with
$ HELP /MES NEGTIM
and you can read

The computed time was less than the system zero date (17-NOV-1858).

If I understand, you are trying to submit a jobe before november 17th, 1858.

Antonio
http://it.openvms.org

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Dipali,

this is most likely a programming error within an application on your system. You need to find out, which image (.EXE file) inside your batch job reported this error.

If you can reproduce this error, consider to add a $ SET VERIFY into the DCL procedure, which runs in your batch job.

If the error is intermittent, consider to turn on image accounting ($ SET ACC/ENA=IMAGE) and look at the image accounting records, once this problem has happened again: $ ACC/TYPE=IMAGE/SINCE=/FULL and look at the Final status text: to find the corresponding image, which exited with the %LIB-F-NEGTIM error.

Volker.
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

> you are trying to submit a jobe before november 17th, 1858

More likely some application (or some part of VMS) is calling the LIB$SUB_TIMES routine and the time2 argument is (erroneously) greater than the time1 argument.
Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

On what date did the error occur? Could it be that Daylight Savings Time ended in your region, and clock went back one hour at a critical time in your job?

Note that setting the clock back at any other time (e.g. using the SET TIME command) might also cause this error.
Bryan Ross
Solution

Hi Dipali

Does your batch job use the F$DELTA_TIME(start-time,end-time) lexical?

This error is generated if start-time is later than end-time.

Cheers

Bryan
Dipali
Occasional Advisor

Hi

i am happy with answers given to me.

thanks