1752822 Members
4278 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Link Errors

Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

Link Errors

I'm trying als to get this to work and when I @build I get the following error.  any ideas? set ver is on

thanks

Paul

$ @build
$ cc/define=(_VMS_WAIT)/pref=all nrpe_aux,utils,custom,check_nrpe
%DCL-W-NOQUAL, qualifiers not allowed - supply only verb and parameters
 \DEFINE\
$ link nrpe_aux,utils,custom, a/opt
SYS$SHARE:SSL$LIBCRYPTO_SHR32.EXE/share
SYS$SHARE:SSL$LIBSSL_SHR32.EXE/share
%ILINK-E-INVLDHDR, invalid ELF header; field 'ehdr$b_ei_mag0' has invalid value %X08
 module: <unassigned>
 file: DSA1110:[PATCHES.NAGIOS]NRPE_AUX.OBJ;3
%ILINK-E-INVLDHDR, invalid ELF header; field 'ehdr$b_ei_mag0' has invalid value %X08
 file: DSA1110:[PATCHES.NAGIOS]UTILS.OBJ;3
 file: DSA1110:[PATCHES.NAGIOS]CUSTOM.OBJ;3
%ILINK-W-USRTFR, image DSA1110:[PATCHES.NAGIOS]NRPE_AUX.EXE;9 has no user transfer address
$

13 REPLIES 13
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Link Errors

Where did you get this kit from?  URL, please?

Turn on verification (SET VERIFY) in the procedure.  If the procedure manages verification itself, you may have to enable this differently; either a symbol or a logical name, or by editing the procedure directly to add the SET VERIFY command.  This to see exactly what's going on within the DCL.

There might well be a local "cc" symbol here, based on that odd /DEFINE diagnostic.  Look for (SHOW SYMBOL CC) and (if found) get rid of that (DELETE/SYMBOL) before invoking the build procedure.

The rest of the stuff looks like it isn't funding OpenVMS I64 objects; see if you're getting OpenVMS Alpha objects from somewhere, for instance.  (This is why you want to use the SET VERIFY.)

And please don't thread-jack unrelated questions; your C code compilation question is quite different from the base question.  And because this isn't your thread, you can't mark this thread closed, etc. 

Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

Link Errors

ok I didn't mean to hijack a thread, my apology.. and I don't think I marked it closed, I only responded because it had to do with compiling the Nagios agent on IA64 with 8.3 1h1 which the OP had said he had done and yet when I try (and set verify is on)... I got the messages I did, and where I got the kit I don't remember, been to so many looking for a fix but downloaded all versions...

again my apologies for hijacking...

Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

Link Errors

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Link Errors

I've downloaded the 2.0b kit from what's posted there, unpacked it, and run a test build.  It's a very simple DCL build sequence, and it builds cleanly to completion on a test OpenVMS Alpha V8.4 box here.  (I haven't tested the resulting executable images.)

In your environment, issue the following DCL command:

$ SHOW SYMBOL CC

It looks like you have a CC symbol equated, and that it's messing up the build.

If you have a CC symbol (if the SHOW SYMBOL returns something other than "%DCL-W-UNDSYM, undefined symbol - check validity and spelling"), then issue the following two commands:

$ DELETEXYZ /SYMBOL /GLOBAL CC 

$ DELETEXYZ /SYMBOL /LOCAL CC

One of those two commands might (will?) generate an error; I'd guess that the /LOCAL command would fail.  And I'm also using an XYZ suffix on that DELETE command to bypass any site-specific DELETE symbol that might (also) be defined here; that XYZ is NOT a typo.

Then retry the @build sequence.

Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

Link Errors

ok thanks I'm trying for an IA64 though!  might be my probelm :-(  also nothing shows up for sh symbol but if I issue cc at the prompt it is short for ccontrol a cache command... just don't know how it's defined.. :-(

thanks

Paul

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Link Errors

I know you are trying this on OpenVMS I64 V8.3-1H1.  That detail is, however, not particularly relevent to this error.  This is a generic error, and would show the same on OpenVMS VAX, OpenVMS Alpha or OpenVMS Itanium.

If you don't have a DCL symbol matching CC or such, then then something is probably setting up a DCL$PATH definition (with a CC image or CC procedure "in front of" the C compiler verb, or it's establishing a DCL command verb in the command tables; that's somewhat harder to spot, as you'll have to dig through the LOGIN.COM or the system-wide SYLOGIN.COM or in some procedure or tool that is invoked from those procedures looking for a SET COMMAND or a DEFINE DCL$PATH that's adding that verb or that tool to the command path, or somebody's added that verb into your DCL command tables system-wide.

As a starting point:

SHOW LOGICAL DCL$PATH

See if you have a CC.EXE or a CC.COM around somewhere.

Establishing a DCL symbol or a command verb (or a DCL$PATH) that overlaps the DCL verb of an unrelated utility - the CC symbol here is colliding with the CC command verb for the C compiler - is generally not considered best-practices.

Extracting the command verb from existing tables can involve the Freeware VERB, but that's probably more digging here than you'll want to discuss.

With that symbol (or command verb) present, you won't be able to use the C compiler.  While it is unlikely in this case, these sorts of DCL symbol-verb collisions may well result in an unintended consequence, too.

Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

Link Errors

ok wasn't sure about that... yes I have found alot that has been assigned that I don't like... it was a former person,

been here since july so still working through everything...

well there is nothing for dcl$path  and nothing in sylogin or login for the system account, currently have a call into vendor as to where this is defined... can I over write it with what it should be?  

thanks

Paul

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Link Errors

If this is a conflicting command verb (your answers are a little terse for me to be entirely sure of the status of the current environment here), then you're headed toward reinstalling the C compiler kit (which will mess up anything else here that uses the existing CC verb) or extracting the CLD from the C compiler kit, and loading that into your process tables with a SET COMMAND.

List the PCSI C installation kit contents:

PRODUCT LIST C

Then find the CLD file in that listing, and extract it.

PRODUCT EXTRACT FILE C /SELECT=cld-filename

Then load the command definition

SET COMMAND cld-filename 

(I don't have a C installation kit for OpenVMS I64 handy on the local VMS server, and the target-practice testing Itanium server is presently occupied and inaccessable right now.)

I'd try that SET COMMAND sequence to re-add the C compiler command definition before I'd try a SET COMMAND /DELETE on the command verb here.  But you may end up attempting to delete the command verb from your local command tables.

(And for those following along at home, I'm intentionally avoiding suggesting the VERB tool from the OpenVMS Freeware; that's a bit more than is probably worth tangling with here.  And it'll potentially have to be built from its source code, and that might be a problem here as the VERB tool itself involves some C code.)

Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

Re: Link Errors

ccontrol is an executable that is for use with cache. and in a former life to run it we would use cco and not cc.

as far as prod list... and * doesn't work either

FACS1>prod list c
%PCSIUI-I-NOMATCH, no products were found matching: C
%PCSIUI-E-NOPROD, no products were found on which to perform this operation
%PCSIUI-E-ABORT, operation terminated due to an unrecoverable error condition