108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Logical names issue

Swain
Regular Advisor

Logical names issue

I have defined 2 logicals under AMS as

define/sys/exec ......

it gets deleted at every reboot. could someone help?

12 REPLIES 12
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Re: Logical names issue

Logicals can't survive a reboot if the node isn't a member of a cluster.

You need to save the definition of the logical(s) in a file that runs during boot.
example, SYS$STARTUP:SYLOGICALS.COM

Hakan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Amaresh,

In addition to Hakan's comments, a note. Please review the documentation on logical names. Not just the section on the DEFINE and ASSIGN commands, but the information in the System Services manual and in the Programming Concepts manual.

All of the OpenVMS manuals are available online at http://www.hp.com/go/openvms

On a general note, the online HELP text is no substitute for having read the relevant manual. While the HELP text contains a summary of the material in the manual, it is of necessity only a summary.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Murali L.R.
Advisor

Hi,
Bit more information:

SYLOGICALS.COM A file to which you add commands to define your site-specific system logical names.

A systemwide logical name applies to the entire system. It is defined in the system logical name table and can be used by any process in the system. A clusterwide system logical name applies to every node in the
cluster at a system level. It is defined in the clusterwide system logical name table of every node and can be used by any process in the system.
In general, system managers edit the SYLOGICALS.COM command procedure to define site-specific logical names that take effect at system startup.

Regards,
Murali
Swain
Regular Advisor

I added the entry in sylogicals.com but seems it did not change the logical definition.

Is there any other file to modify before reboot?
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Is your problem that a CHANGE of an already defined logical is gone after boot ??

A definition of a logical must be stored in ANY file the will be run during boot.

SYLOGICALS.COM is accessed early in the boot.

If another definition of the specific logical is made later in the boot, it will be overwritten.

Hakan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Joewee
Regular Advisor

Amaresh,

Find where the logical is getting defined.
If possible change it there itself, else try to define your new logical after the start up of the application or Com procedure which defines the logical.

If you are getting confused add the logical definition to the last line of your sys$manager:systartup_vms.com
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Joewee,

With all due respect I must strongly disagree with the last paragraph of your most recent post in this thread.

The logical name in question could be defined in a wide variety of places, adding it to the end of SYS$MANAGER:SYSSTARTUP_VMS.COM while it may possibly temporarily resolve the situation, will only add to confusion in the long term.

Amaresh,

Simply adding the name to SYLOGICALS will not define it in the currently running system. The individual define will also have to be executed on the running system.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Joewee
Regular Advisor

Thanks Bob,

I take that.. I was jus trying to give him a work around.

Amaresh,

Sorry to misguide you.

Swain
Regular Advisor

Thanks Bob.

I want to know what steps to be executed so that I need not to redefine the logicals after reboot..
Adding to SYLOGICALS.COM did not work.

Amaresh