108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MMS Error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Manesh Sasankan
Advisor

MMS Error

To compile the source code, i'm using the MMS build tool. The whole build works fine, but in some module i'm getting a warning & i think this has something to do with the malfunctioning of a separate module in the source code.

the source code uses make style build process. so in a particular directory, i have all the UIL files and also have the generated UID files. But when i do a make inside this directory, the MMS utility gives a bunch of error or may be warnings.

%MMS-I-RULDISCNOTYPS, Rule '.FOR.OBJ' discarded as types not in suffixes precede
nce list

i dont know where to add these suffix precedence and from where this comes from. i want to where these suffix are defined in MMS.

Appreciate if anyone could comment on this!!

Thanks,
Manesh
7 REPLIES 7
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor
Solution

Manesh,

the suffixes precedence list lists all suffixes known to MMS. Obviously the defaults have a rule for compiling a FORTRAN source, without .FOR being listed in the suffixes list.

You can append to the list using the directive

.SUFFIXES_AFTER .FOR

Or you can completely replace the default list by

.SUFFIXES
.SUFFIXES .UID .UIL

Have a look at the documentation at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82final/decset/MMS_USERS_GUIDE.PDF , especially section 2.7.6.

cu,
Martin
Manesh Sasankan
Advisor

Martin,

Thanks for the reply. i found something unusual in the corresponding .mms file. it has something like this.

===================
.INCLUDE [lib.template]rs1.vms
=======================

This rs1.vms has in turn these suffix definition
==================
.SUFFIXES
.SUFFIXES .EXE .PTB .OLB .OBJ .OBJ1 .OBJ2 .OBJ3 .OBJ4 .OBJ5 .OBJ6 .OUT .C .MAR .MSG .H .FOR .MSC .QC
=======================

Also in the .mms file, there are these suffix definitions after the .INCLUDE statement.

====================
.SUFFIXES
.SUFFIXES .UID .UIL
=======================

so i think it's throwing warnings for all the suffix definitions in the rs1.vms file, since there is no such file suffixes in the corresponding .mms file. (the directory that this .mms file belongs has only .uil & .uid files)

was my observation correct?
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Sounds plausible. What happens if you throw
away the second empty ".SUFFIXES" directive?
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Manesh,

>>>
so i think it's throwing warnings for all the suffix definitions in the rs1.vms file, since there is no such file suffixes in the corresponding .mms file.
<<<

It's giving informational messages (note the "-I-"!) about default rules (i.e. rules where the target looks like ".FOR.OBJ", and the action line has the default compilation command), where the extensions are not in the suffixes list (because the empty .SUFFIXES directive throws away all previous declarations).

Try and comment out the empty .SUFFIXES directive, as Steven suggested.

cu,
Martin
Manesh Sasankan
Advisor

Thanks all.. Bingo it worked..

i commented out the second .suffixes and it worked. now there is no more informational warning messages.

Seems like i'm dealing with all VMS gurus. feels good. i'm just a starter in vms. :-)
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

I think that you can get the same problem the
same way in a UNIX "make", although the
message may be different, so it's probably
not a very VMSy problem. But keep at it, and
I'm sure that you can get some more
VMS-specific problems soon enough.
Manesh Sasankan
Advisor