1753789 Members
7561 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mail configuration question

SOLVED
Go to solution

Mail configuration question

I have 2 different customers sharing a DS25 running OpenVMS 8.3. The customers are using different network cards. When we send mail from the machine we want it to use different sender adresses to the different customers - how do we achieve that?
//Bj├╢rnR
5 REPLIES 5
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor
Solution

Put in the login.com of each user :
$ def/job tcpip$smtp_from "user@comp.com"
And login again.

T.i. if you're using smtp.

Wim
Wim

It did'nt work. The second customer doesn't want the mail to pass through the first customers smtp-server. So what I want is to differ the outgoing mails to different smtp-servers depending on what/which domain is included in the mail address.

Any help appreciated....

//Bj├Г┬╢rn R

Another way could be if it├В┬┤s possible to send the mails via different smtpservers depending on which user in VMS that sends the mail...

//Bj├Г┬╢rnR
Hoff
Honored Contributor

If the customer doesn't want to share an SMTP server or other system-level resources, that then mandates a separate OpenVMS installation on a second box (hardware or emulated box) running either standalone or clustered, or a shutdown and restart or such.

This is one box, with one mail server, and one IP stack.

No virtual machine capabilities exist for OpenVMS Alpha and (based on the OpenVMS roadmap) none are planned.

These virtualization features are planned for a future release of OpenVMS I64 on Itanium, however, and blade enclosures provide a way to stuff more processing into smaller boxes.

I don't know that the TCP/IP Service has virtual domain capabilities for the SMTP server. AFAIK, it doesn't. Quinterra or Communigate may be an option here, and the third-party IP stacks have more features in this area.

Used-equipment prices on rx2600-class Integrity servers are such that installing and running parallel servers aren't all that much more than the OpenVMS license and media price for the FOE package, and whatever software support is required. Parallel OpenVMS Alpha is another option.

Or move the SMTP server over to a box that offers virtual domains. Linux on ProLiant or otherwise, for instance. The Process IP stack has the added feature of allowing client connections into a remote SMTP server.

Ok - fine. Now I have a nice explanation to give our 2nd customer (They wanted to share from the beginning - and now they can┬┤t get it all!). We will hopefully go to Itanium at the end of this year, maybe it can be fixed then. Thanks for the exahaustive answer!

BR
Bj├╢rnR