1757004 Members
2392 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Manage cluster impersonator

rieger_1

Manage cluster impersonator

Hello!

After the upgrade to openVMS 7.3-2 we have a problem to manage the cluster impersonator.

I read the release notes an found the command to delete a cluster alias address from active system.
ifconfig -alias

I had try these command and was confused,
then no other node work as impersonator.
The cluster alias was died!!

How can I change the imporsonator?
How can I set the interface for waiting to work as impesonator, like "set configuration interface /cluster".

Thanks for information.
7 REPLIES 7
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Suppose you have two node cluster named NodeA & NodeB. And right now NodeA is cluster impersonator. So, to failover the impersonator to NodeB, you need to give following command on NodeA :

TCPIP SET INTERFACE xxx/NOCLUSTER

(where xxx is your interface name)

This will make NodeB as cluster impersonator. Now if you wish to get back to NodeA as impersonator, then I guess you need to restart TCPIP on NodeA and issue the above command on NodeB.

HTH,
Thanks & regards,
Lokesh Jain
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
rieger_1

Hi,

"TCPIP SET INTERFACE xxx/NOCLUSTER "
was the right command before TCPIP Version 5.4. The release notes wrote "management commands are no longer supported:
* TCPIP SET INTERFACE /NOCLUSTER"

Okay!

Now (TCPIP 5.4) you should use the command ifconfig -alias

But this command don't work in our environment. Nobody will work as TCPIP cluster imersonator. And I don't why.
8-(

I hope you can understand me.

Best regards
Matthias Rieger
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rieger,

I understand. Though I have never worked on 5.4 , but I can suggest one more thing. Give the following command on the node which you do NOT want to be a cluster impersonator:

TCPIP SET COMMUN/CLUSTER_TIMER=1 .

and following command on node which you want to be a cluster impersonator:

TCPIP SET COMMU/CLUSTER_TIMER=0 .

HTH,
Thanks & regards,
Lokesh Jain
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
rieger_1

Hi Lokesh!

I have problem to check this, because
I had killed our cluster service for one time today.
8-(

The question are:
* How I configure the tcpip services in version 5.4 that the impersonator change automatically(!!!) to next node, if I shut up (in TCPIP) the current impersonator (i.E. for change configuration ore so on)?

* What must I do to configure these node as a standby node for cluster impersonator after the configuarion action (without reboot!!!)?

Best regards
Matthias Rieger
Garry Fruth
Trusted Contributor

In the cluster I am testing failsafe in, we are using vms7.3-2 with tcip 5.4. The cluster is heterogeneous; one has ECO4, the other doesn't.

Both nodes are configured using
"ifconfig we1 alias 10.10.10.10/24"

I am able to use "ifconfig we1 -alias 10.10.10.10" and have the ip address fail over to another cluster member. I am using "ifconfig -a" to view the configuration. TCPIP SHOW INTER/FUL shows 10.10.10.10 as the c_addr; but id does not show which is the 'impersonator'. "telnet 10.10.10.10" confirms that the failover worked.
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Cluster alias seems to no longer function with VMS 7.3-2 and TCPIP 5.4. We migrated to failSAFE IP rather than try to troubleshoot this, which allows a bit more flexabilty.
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

Yes, I agree the Failsafe mechanism IS a step forward, bit I still hate the entire concept of "just" a minor update changing things in such way, that what was the ONLY such functionality before the "minor" change no longer works, while the repacement, that was NOT available before, AND IS ONLY MARGINALLY DOCUMENTED, MUST be configured NOW.

Remeber, the old (and current) VMS adagium:
NO change should break existing code!

Well, to me this change clearly defines TCP/IP to be _NO_ acceptable VMS functionality.
(and it shares this with quite a lot of stuff we "get" from NIX.

Sad, but I regrettably have no other conclusion.

(I think I remarked this before, but in Dutch "U" means "you", and "nix" means "nothing")

Still hoping that those things may one day get better,

Prost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.