108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mount timeout

SOLVED
Go to solution
vladky
Occasional Advisor

Mount timeout

Hi everybody, I would like to change the timeout during a disk mount operation, if the disk is not mountable. Is it possible to modify this through some sysgen paramater ?
8 REPLIES 8
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Vladky,

the timeouts involved during a disk mount are most likely not changeable, as they are hidden in the underlying disk/port drivers.

What problem are you trying to solve ?

Volker.
vladky
Occasional Advisor

Hi, thanx for your answer. Last time I had problem by system boot. One disk device became unmountable (some HW problem) and the startup procedure was waiting and trying to mount this device. I was not able to skip this mounting operation and I had to abort the boot process. Then I removed the disk from the startup procedure from another node of the cluster.
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

We check the existance of disks prior to mounting them with the usual F$GETDVI calls (EXISTS,AVL) and perform the real mount in parallel subprocesses.
The master waits a specific time for the subs to complete and then continues.

egards Kalle
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Vladky,

you're using MOUNT/NOASSIST during startup, aren't you ? If not, you should.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Booting a production system with 1 disk missing can be dangerous if the application can not handle it.

We use a special system parameter to allow a reboot with disks missing (USERD2). So, special action is needed.

BTW : may be there is some dcl around the mount that is redoing the mount. We have.

Wim

Wim
vladky
Occasional Advisor

Thanx for all your suggestions. I think the best way is to use /NOASSSIST with the mount command.

Vladky
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Vladky,

definitely YES. MOUNT/NOASSIST should never hang, it will return with an appropriate error, if the disk cannot be mounted. Make sure there is a SET NOON in your SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM

If you have a hanging MOUNT/ASSIST during startup (in another node in a cluster), you may be able to use an REPLY/TO=n ABORT operator command on one of the other nodes to abort the MOUNT OPCOM request.

With recent versions of OpenVMS, you could also do a STOP/IMAGE/ID= to $FORCEX the mount image and still have your SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM continue

If you would be running AMDS (started early in SYLOGICALS.COM or SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM), this could also help in a situation like that, as it allows you to force an image exit.

Volker.
vladky
Occasional Advisor

use noassist with the mount command.