108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multinet and the MIME utility

SOLVED
Go to solution
Garry Fruth
Trusted Contributor

Multinet and the MIME utility

I have a DCL procedure that uses the MIME utility to create an e-mail message. On systems with HP TCPIP, I use TCPIP$SMTP_SFF to send the file. How do I do send the file using Multinet? The system is VMS 7.3-2 with Multinet 4.4 Rev A-X.
5 REPLIES 5
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Have a look at Arne Vajhoej's NBL (No Blank Line): ftp://ftp.levitte.org/~ava/vms/nbl/

HTH,
Martin
Garry Fruth
Trusted Contributor

Martin, thanks for the response to this older thread which is still relevant to me. I will give NBL a try later today and let you know what I find.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Garry,

There is another approach which I have used sucessfully.

Remember, the SMTP server can be accessed via a telnet connection. In the past, I have used C-kermit's scripting capability to initiate a connection to the local (127.0.0.1) SMTP server, then ran the SMTP dialog as the script. It sounds ugly, but it does work.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Marty Kuhrt
Occasional Advisor
Solution

If you create an envelope with the proper RFC-822 header lines and attach the info created by MIME, then you can just print to the
MULTINET_SMTP_QUEUE queue.

$ print/que=MULTINET_SMTP_QUEUE my_email.tmp
Can't keep it up? You need VMS!
Garry Fruth
Trusted Contributor

Marty,
I liked your solution, in that it looked very similar to what I need to do to use tcpip$smtp_sff. However, at least in our environment, they are not quite rfc822 headers. I had to precede the message with with something like this:
MAIL FROM:
RCPT TO:
ARRIVAL_TIME: 21-DEC-2004 12:03:14.65
To: me@here.com
Subject: Test
Mime-version: 1.0
. . .

Without the ARRIVAL_TIME line, the server queue seemed to get hung up. Also, I did not include a DATA line.