1748129 Members
3436 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NTP questions

Kenneth Rudgers
Advisor

NTP questions

How do I know what service is keeping the NTP time on my VMS 6.2 servers. ON one I show a process...

20400220 TCPware_NTPD LEF 8 34235 0 00:26:30.32 117 143

and on the other...

2022755C UCX$NTPD HIB 7 111 0 00:00:00.23 88 103

it seems both are using different services to keep track. Ideas on how to stop and start both? I think i found the UCX start and stop scripts but I am struggling with the TCPware. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated... fyi time on each box is with in 2 secs of each other but a monitoring tool is reporting they are both way off. Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Heinz W Genhart
Honored Contributor

Re: NTP questions

Hi Kenneth

I'm not sure if I understand your question correct.

There are two different products involved. One is TCPWARE from Process Software and the another one is UCX from HP (Compaq, DEC).

We don't use TCPWARE and so I dont know this product. UCX is the TCPIP stack from HP. Today is called TCPIP. To shut down the NTP service on TCPIP we use @SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$NTP_SHUTDOWN.COM. So I assume that you will find a procedure called SYS$STARTUP:UCX$NTP_SHUTDOWN.COM to stop the NTP Service on the UCX machine.

Regards

Geni
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

UCX's NTP implementation by default should be using SYS$SPECIFIC:[UCX$NTP]UCX$NTP.CONF as it's configuration file. The configuration details are in the file in plain editable text.

I've never managed TCPWare, so I can't help with it.

Bill
Bill Hall
Walter Miller_1
Valued Contributor

To shutdown TCPWARE NTP issue the command

@TCPWARE:SHUTNET NTP

and to start it

@TCPWARE:STARTNET NTP
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

>>>it seems both are using different services to keep track.

Both systems are using NTP to keep time. Bill's provided the configuration file for the UCX version of NTP.

If you have 2 second difference, it's possible both systems are using a different time source. The solution would be to identify the TCPware configuration and select the same time source or sources on both nodes.

Another possibility is the time zone configuration isn't properly set on both nodes.

$ show logical *time*

and verify you're properly set for daylight saving time. See sys$manager:UTC$TIME_SETUP.COM to change the configuration.

Andy

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

For the TCPware system you can use NTPQ to see what systems NTP is syncing with and how far off it is:

$ run tcpware:ntpq
ntpq>peers

The TCPware NTP configuration file is TCPWARE:NTP.CONF

UCX may offer NTPQ as well.