1748170 Members
4060 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS Alpha V8.3 MONITOR problem in cluster

Jim Geier_1
Regular Advisor

OpenVMS Alpha V8.3 MONITOR problem in cluster

We are running OpenVMS Alpha V8.3 in a cluster of three ES45 and one DS10 systems. The ES45s all run from a common system disk. This problem also manifests itself from a cluster of an ES40 and a DS20e also running OpenVMS Alpha V8.3. When I issue the following commands, I get an error:

$ monitor cluster
^C
MONITOR> set default/node=hcpb ! different node
MONITOR> monitor process/topcpu
%NONAME-W-NOMSG, Message number 00000000
%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=00, virtual address=000000000000
0041, PC=FFFFFFFF80E94978, PS=0000001B

$ monitor
MONITOR> set default/node=hcpa ! this node
MONITOR> monitor process/topcpu
%NONAME-W-NOMSG, Message number 00000000
%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=00, virtual address=000000000000
0041, PC=FFFFFFFF80E94978, PS=0000001B

This worked for me prior to upgrading from VMS 7.3-2 to VMS 8.3. This problem also is seen when running monitor on a standalone node running OpenVMS Alpha 8.2. And installation of the latest Monitor patch kit does not change the behavior. Is this a bug in Monitor, or something else not being set up correctly?
6 REPLIES 6
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Please raise this issue with HP support.
This is certainly a bug.
No standard tool should ever cause an ACCVIO problem.
In the mean time, just SET HOST and monitor localy?

Hein.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

...Or load AMDS or Availability Manager, and monitor host activity that way.
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Just confirmed that the error also occurs on V8.2. A monitor/node=nnn (with nnn being the local node) surprisingly works in opposite to set default.

regards Kalle
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Jim,

I can reproduce this on an OpenVMS Alpha V8.2 system, also on Alpha V8.3 and I64 V8.2. It works fine on VAX V6.2 ;-) Did you install the recent V83A_MONTOR-V0100 patch ? Nothing in the release notes, but just give it a try, before logging a call.

The next-best workaround would be to use:

$ MONI PROC/TOPCPU/NODE=node

The MONITOR> SET DEF command seems to be a seldom-used code path. Log a low-priority call with HP.

Volker.

Jim Geier_1
Regular Advisor

I have installed the recent VMS83A_MONTOR-V0100 patch kit. I have been using the SET DEF command in Monitor for many years -- I certainly can Set Host and monitor from a process on the local node. It is rather convenient to use the SET DEF in Monitor at times. For example, if I use MONITOR CLUSTER, then see a large CPU usage on another system, it is faster to press control-C, and issue the commands SET DEF nnnn and MON PROC/TOPC to get a quick view of what is happening.

I also use AMDS, but because the data center is 35 miles away across a couple of routers, I have to run it using an X terminal to the Java-based AM on an AlphaServer in the data center, and the performance of the Java AM is painful to use.
Jim Geier_1
Regular Advisor

The case has been submitted to HP OpenVMS support, case number 3600132603-361. The response a request for additional information and that it would have to be elevated to OpenVMS Engineering.