3313 Online
108847 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS %INIT-F-DATACHECK, write check error

Francesco Russo
Occasional Advisor

OpenVMS %INIT-F-DATACHECK, write check error

Good morning,
I need help regarding OpenVMS V7.3-2 (COMPAQ AlphaServer DS10 466 MHz- HBA KGPSA-C), when I try to initializate new LUNS (visible from "sh dev dg") i receive the following error message:%INIT-F-DATACHECK, write check error. The latest patch kit has been installed DEC AXPVMS VMS732_UPDATE V8.0, but I still have the same problem.

Thanks very much for your time.

regards
Francesco
17 REPLIES 17
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

What type of disk subsystem are you using? HSG80, MSA1000, EVA?

Are the connections on the disk subsystem set to profile or connection type of OpenVMS?

Did you perform an init on the lun on the disk subsystem? On HSG80s you need to init the unit

HSG80> INIT D101

Regards
Cass
Francesco Russo
Occasional Advisor

Hello Cass,
Thanks for the replay.
I am using an HDS AMS200. Sorry but I do not understand your second question. (I am not an OpenVMS guy), if you refer to SAN connection, this server is connected to a cisco 9210 FC-AL (no zoninig). I performed the init on the disks visible from "sh dev dg".
-----------------
$>init $1$dga0
_Label: vol0
%INIT-F-DATACHECK, write check error
-----------------
$>init $1$dga0 vol0
-----------------------------------
Thanks
Francesco
Petr Spisek
Regular Advisor

Hi,
is posible mount this disk? (mount/ov=id $1$dga0:)
- If yes, try to use command "set volume $1$dga0: /data=nowrite" (disk must be mounted)
- dismount $1$dga0:
- initialize/system $1$dga0: label

Petr
BTW: Returns something command "show symbol init" ?

Francesco Russo
Occasional Advisor

Hi Petr.
Thanks for your info, eventually I managed to init some device after trying 70 times to do so:
$> mount/ov=id $1$dga0: %MOUNT-F-NOHOMEBLK, Files-11 home block not found on volume
-MOUNT-I-VOLIDENT, label = 'VOL0 ', owner = ' ', format = 'DECFILE11B '
------------------------------------
$> initialize/system $1$dga1: vol1
After few error I managed to init successfully:
$> mou $1$dga1:/ov=id
%MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, VOL1 mounted on _$1$DGA1: (ELI2TO)
set volume $1$dga1:/data=nowrite
$> dism $1$dga1:
But when I tried again...

$> mou $1$dga1:/ov=id
%MOUNT-W-ALHOMINV, invalid alternate home block on _$1$DGA1:
%MOUNT-F-FILESTRUCT, unsupported file structure level

I do not know what is wrong with this. Can be the firmware on the HBA (DS-KGPSA-CA).

Thanks again.
Francesco
Petr Spisek
Regular Advisor

Hm,
if I understand right - after the building a new disk unit on your disk-controller, you can do only one init on vms, the second attempt does fail, doesn't it?
HDS AMS200? - I don't know this controller. Is it supported with vms?
How looks the unit on the controller? (POLICY, NOWRITE_PROTECT, other flags...)

Try to check the last supported version of firmwre on your controller and DS10.

Petr
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Francesco,

the HDS AMS200 seems to be a third-party (i.e. non-HP) SAN controller. Did you ever get any LUNs initialized successfully on that controller from OpenVMS ?

You will need to contact the vendor or support for the AMS200 and/or read the manual to find out, whether you need to do any special setup on that controller to be able to use the LUNs from OpenVMS.

By default, OpenVMS only does a write-check on file-system (XQP) QIOs. A DATACHECK error normally indicates, that the data written to a disk block could not be verified (read back and compared) correctly.

Volker.
Francesco Russo
Occasional Advisor

Hi All,
Thanks very much for your time.
I am sorry but I called the Hitachi Data System Tagmastore DF700S as AMS200 (we call it like that where I work). The AMS200 or DF700S is subsystem and it seems been supported from both side (Subsystem to server and vice versa).
I have a quick question:
Does OpenVMS have this type of problem when try to init/mount disks used in past for different OS? I am saying this because probably those LUNs I am trying to init/mount had been used before from a different OS. Can I force this mount/init command?

Thanks again
Francesco
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Francesco,

it seems like there is a severe problem when writing/reading/comparing data to LUNs on this controller. OpenVMS sees a disk as a series of logical blocks, it does not care about the previous contents, if you do an INIT.

Did you ever successfully INIT any LUNs on this controller from OpenVMS ? One success out of 70 retries does not count as 'successful' !

Please take into account, that the connection type on the SAN controller needs to be defined to OpenVMS - at least this needs to be done on the HP SAN controllers (HSG, MSA, EVA).

Volker.
Petr Spisek
Regular Advisor

I never seen the similar problem. When the first init was OK, next reinit was successful every time. (On supported HW for vms).
Petr