108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS Job Scheduler - Recomendations

SOLVED
Go to solution
John T. Farmer
Regular Advisor

OpenVMS Job Scheduler - Recomendations

I'm a new member of the I.T. staff at my company. The Alpha/OpenVMS 7.2-1 system has been running in a bare-bones mode for the last 6 years. By that, I mean it has the O/S (7.2-1), a COBOL compiler and network connectivity, and that's about it.

I am proposing adding a job scheduler to the mix. Besides the several promient commercial offerings, most freeware searches lead to Cron (and/or Kronos). Is this a recommended solution to pursue for job scheduling? Is this any better than the current use of the VMS Submit command? Does this require "Installation" on OpenVMS? Can someone point me to how-to documentation? I am a developer/analyst by trade, but trying to help establish operations standards in the dept.

No amount of information/suggestions will go un-appreciated. I am starting from the ground up in many areas in I.T. In most of my previous employement, these "infrastructure & tool" decisions had already been made and implemented. I just had to follow the rules. Here, we are needing to establish those rules.

Thanks,

John Farmer
18 REPLIES 18
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor
Solution

John,

Installation on OpenVMS means different things to different people. In the systems sense, it generally means moving files into various systems directories. Your earlier comments in a different thread inquired about PCSI kits. PCSI (if memory serves, originally named PolyCenter Software Installation) is a OpenVMS component for packaging and distributing software and updates. The "installing" user uses the PRODUCT INSTALL command, with a supplied file (a PCSI file) as implicit input (the names are formulaic based upon architecture and product name).

PCSI kits can also be generated. All of the components and utilities need to generate the kits are present on a normal OpenVMS system (the utilities are documented in the OpenVMS documentation set, accessible at http://www.hp.com/go/openvms ).

Depending upon how the applications on your site are organized, adopting a job scheduling product can be easy or a major product, there is no way to determine this without a careful look at your activities. Some organizations have implemented their own job scheduling, others have not.

I hope that the above is helpful.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Yup. A lot can be done using plain-old
SUBMIT, and even more with command procedures
which re-SUBMIT themselves.

On the other hand, a pre-fab tool which can
run something on the last Thursday of every
month can save some DCL effort.

It all depends on your actual requirements.
One method of attack might be to try to write
the DCL to do what you need. If/when that
gets cumbersome and/or frustrating, you'll
have a better idea of what to look for in a
fancy scheduling tool.
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

John, Steve comments are similar to those I would have said 5 years ago when working for this big corporate customer. However Batch sceduling has become so complicated and would not really want to run with out our Scheduler.
We run the CA Scheduler in Server mode on all four production nodes.

$> sch
Unicenter Job Management V3.0
(C) 2002, Computer Associates International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

SCHEDULE>

This version 3.0 is okay. The prevsion had realy problems with waited DIO being generated and some bugs when shadow merges were in progress.

I do not endorse the product, but it services us satisfactorily.
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

We use a port of CRON on our VMS systems (I packaged it, so I also use it :-)).
It runs o.k. and frees us from the burden to program some DCL to specify more complex scheduling requirements. If you have dependancies between jobs, esp. for jobs on other systems, a commercial product may be better suited.
CRON uses the standard batch system for actually running the jobs and is clusterware, in that a CRON daemon runs on every node (you specify), synchronized via a lock, and one of them doing the work.

You find the PCSI kit for CRON on the actual freeware disk.

regards Kalle
Peter Barkas
Regular Advisor

It depends on the complexity of your requirements.

I use a slightly modified version of resubmit.com and a separate routine resubmit_date.com for calculating the resubmit date which copes with 'every_week' and 'third Monday of the month' etc. See http://dcl.openvms.org/
Malcolm Dunn
Occasional Advisor

John, I work for XuiS (www.xuis.com) and we market XS-EnterpriseSCHEDULE (known as EnterpriseSCHEDULE in the USA). So this is a fully featured commercial job scheduling product. Multi-platform, full server & client running on a variety of platforms including VMS (VAX, Alpha, Itanium), HP platforms, Windows, etc. On VMS the product gives you a whole layer of batch job management that sits on top of the cluster wide batch queue system. If you're not after a commercial product then I won't trouble you any further but if you're interested, take a look at our web site or email me at mdunn@xuis.com Cheers, Malcolm Dunn
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

If commercial applications are considered, you should add JAMS to your list for investigation - http://www.mvpsi.com/ - my experiences with it were positive (fwiw).
Jeffrey Goodwin
Frequent Advisor

We use JSS from Icam for scheduling and have been very happy with it.

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/mop/mop_PartnerDetails_IDX/1,2718,6308,00.html
B Claremont
Frequent Advisor

Attached are a couple of DCL examples if you decide to try rolling your own. SUBMIT.COM is an example of how to submit a batch job with parameters.

www.MigrationSpecialties.com