1757061 Members
2342 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS Password Reset OpenVMS Faq way does not work

Chris Brandstetter

OpenVMS Password Reset OpenVMS Faq way does not work

Dear All,
I recently purchased a used Alpha 2100 system which happens to have OpenVMS for Alpha on it. It is 6.x version. Anyways I tried resetting the system password using the way in the OpenVMS faq and it says that protected files need to be installed, so I did some more searching found another way to do it, but still have a problem doing it as when I try and use "install sys$share:secureshrp" does notwork, tell me I have a syntax error, so I tried "install sys$syslib:secureshrp" which syslib is where it says the protected libraries are, but that gives a system error alos. Basically I want to play with OpenVMS as that is how I learn OSes. (I started with DOS, Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X...). Can anyone help. Also I have a 4100 with DUal Procs, and another 2100 for sale.
9 REPLIES 9
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS Password Reset OpenVMS Faq way does not work

Chris,

if you followed the FAQ you should have a running VMS system with your terminal (at OPA0:) being logged in as startup process (SET /STARTUP=OPA0:).
Beware to always SPAWN a subprocess, because every error logs you out. Running AUTHORIZE requires SECURESHRP being installed as you alreday noticed. Do a SEARCH SYS$MANAGER:VMSIMAGES.DAT SECURESHRP and use commandline found exactly as input to INSTALL to install the image. That should work, if not pls. post the exact errormessage.

As an alternative, have you also tried the method using UAFALTERNATE?

regards Kalle
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Can anyone help [?]

Possibly, if you provided just a little
useful information.

"the way in the OpenVMS faq" -- What commands
did you use, exactly?

"does notwork" is not nearly so informative
as the actual error message.

"gives a system error" -- See above.

Perhaps something like this?:

%CLI-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
\SYS$SHARE\

A valid INSTALL command might work better:

INSTALL ADD sys$share:secureshrp.exe

Did you do the "@ SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP" step?
That might obviate all the manual INSTALL
activity.

Henceforth, please include info like, "I did
(exactly) this", and, "Then (exactly) this
happened." It could make a world of
difference.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Chris,

Let me begin with
WELCOME TO THE VMS FORUM!

and from your question, even more important:
Welcome to VMS (or OpenVMS, as it is now officially called). The greatest, most scalable, most secure OS in the world!

It takes some getting used to (but much less so than various U*X variants), but I am sure you will come to love its consistency and clarity!

Your question is a bit vague.
VMS DOES give pretty accurate and precice error messages, and they are (usually) much more usefull than those of many other OSses.
But you should supply us with them if we are to be able to use them.

From wgat you said so far I would _guess_ (but we much prefer not to HAVE to guess) that the answer given by Steven might well be a great step forward for your VMS setup.

Please remember: any questions that you can not readily find answers already given in this forum: do not hesitate, just ask!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Klaes-G├╢ran Carlsson
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Since you are playing around with vms and installing stuff... looks like you already have an account other than system?

Is it the command:
$mcr authorize mod system/password=anypwd/nopwdexp/pwdlife=0

you are looking for?

/Klaes-G├Г┬╢ran
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

when you are at the input prompt after booting with /STARTUP=OPA0:

$ set NOON
$ spawn/nowait/notify @sys$system:startup

wait for all of the startup processing to conclude.

$ mcr authorize mod system/pass=/nopwdexpire

Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Chinraj Rajasekaran
Frequent Advisor

Hi Chris,

Please check this one, hope this will help you.

Assuming the translation of the SYS$TOPSYS logical name is SYS0, the system is bootstrapping from the default system root and you will use one of the following commands to initiate a conversational
reboot:

>>> b -fl 0,1

Once you have triggered a conversational bootstrap and have reached the SYSBOOT prompt, you will
want to request that OpenVMS read the system startup commands directly from the system console. This
in place of reading the startup commands from the default OpenVMS system startup procedure,
SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP.COM. You will also want to disable the windowing system, if any, and you
will want to request that the parameter changes not be recorded.
SYSBOOT> SET/STARTUP OPA0:
SYSBOOT> SET WINDOW_SYSTEM 0
SYSBOOT> SET WRITESYSPARAMS 0
SYSBOOT> CONTINUE
Though the following is not specifically required here, you will have to perform an additional step if you
wish to completely disable the DECwindows startup procedures. In particular, you will have to define the
following logical name within SYLOGICALS.COM:
$ DEFINE/SYSTEM/EXEC DECW$IGNORE_WORKSTATION TRUE
The CONTINUE command shown above will cause OpenVMS to continue the bootstrap. Eventually,
OpenVMS will issue a $ prompt on the console terminal. You must type the following two commands,
exactly as shown:
$ SPAWN
$ @SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP
The result of these two commands will be the invocation of normal system startup, but you will be left
logged in on the console, running under a privileged username. Without the use of the SPAWN
command, you would be logged out when the startup completes.
If necessary, you can skip the invocation of the system startup temporarily, and perform tasks such as
registering license PAKs or various other "single-user" maintenance operations.
Best of "Ask the Wizard" (3 of 4) [1/13/2003 4:05:12 PM]
Use the following commands to reset the SYSTEM password:
$ SET DEFAULT SYS$SYSTEM: ! or wherever SYSUAF.DAT resides
$ RUN SYS$SYSTEM:AUTHORIZE
UAF> MODIFY SYSTEM /PASSWORD=newpassword
UAF> EXIT
$
These AUTHORIZE commands will change the SYSTEM password to the specified new newpassword
password value. You can shut down the system and reboot with the new SYSTEM username, or
potentially simply LOGOUT of the console session to allow the system startup to complete.

regards
Raj

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Chris,

As it is documented in the FAQ (and the manuals, for that matter), you need to do a conversational bootstrap (as noted by Karl). After you reset the startup to point to OPA0, you will be delivered to a "$" prompt BEFORE OpenVMS has completed startup.

You then need to do a SPAWN, and when you get the "$" following the SPAWN, you need to run the startup command file manually before proceeding ($@[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.SYSEXE]STARTUP). When the startup file has finished, you will be returned to a "$" prompt.

Now do the following:
$ SET DEF SYS$SYSTEM
$ MCR AUTHORIZE

You will then be in the AUTHORIZE utility and should be able to modify accounts and passwords.

DECwindows will only attempt to start after you do a LOGOUT from the operator console.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Colin Butcher
Esteemed Contributor

Here's an easy way out if you have a bootable CD or distribution media or another system disc:

Boot the OpenVMS Alpha installation CD and get to a DCL prompt. Mount the target system disc, define SYSUAF to point to the UAF on the target disc eg: DEFINE SYSUAF :[VMS$COMMON.SYSEXE]SYSUAF.DAT

Now all you need to do is run AUTHORIZE. If there's a massive difference in OpenVMS versions between the target system disc and the installation CD then you might have trouble, but in general it's very simple.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem (Occam's razor).
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

For the record, I just tried the FAQ's
procedure on an old VAXstation running VMS
V7.3, and it worked as expected.

As the original complainant did not tell us
what he did, I'd say that it's safe to assume
that he didn't follow the procedure, but I'm
always open to a good counter-argument (with
evidence).