New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS cluster print queue setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

MC,

if you specify /AUTOSTART, then there are two ways to specify your nodes: simply specify "*" for your nodename. It defines ALL nodes eligable for exeution; and your que will keep running on a node, until it is forced to fail over, when it will run on another node until etc...
The other way is to specify /AUTOSTART=(node_1,node_2,...). Now the queue will try to run on the first node specified, etc.
So if you want to spread the load (if various nodes are available), then specify a portion as (node_1, node_2,...), a portion as (node_2, node_1,...) etc...
If a node fails, its queues fail over. When if comes back (more precisely, when it enables autostart), then those queues that have that node in their /AUTOSTART list ahead of the current execution node, those will fail over ( = fail back)

hth,

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but for AUTOSTART queues to work you need to execute the following command on any node that uses queues with that feature:

$ enable autostart /queues
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Jan,

Just did a test. The failback has to be done by hand. (sorry for the bad format, they should make this form 80 char).

I am on node sbetv1.

>@wim.lis
>ty wim.lis
$ INITIALIZE /QUEUE wim -
/BATCH -
/START -
/AUTOSTART_ON = (sbetv1::,sbetv2::)
>sh que wim/fu
Batch queue WIM, idle, on SBETV1::
/AUTOSTART_ON=(SBETV1::,SBETV2::) /BASE_PRIORITY=4 /JOB_LIMIT=1
/OWNER=[SYSMGR,SYSTEM] /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S)
>disab auto/q
>sh que wim/fu
Batch queue WIM, idle, on SBETV2::
>enab auto/q
>sh que wim/fu
Batch queue WIM, idle, on SBETV2::
Wim
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wim,

I never had to use it (on the contrary, we try to be as homogeneous as possible), but that is why I remebered the help text:

"
INIT/QUE/AUTO

... you can specify more than one node ... in the preferred order in which nodes should claim the queue.
"
So, eigther my understanding of English is not exact enough, or the help text is not clear enough, or the text is not (any more?) correct.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused....

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Jan,

No problem. But if you were right, the command had to close the queue gracefully (/next) and then move it to the other node.
Since /next can take ages ...

Wim
Wim
M C_1
Advisor

Jan,
I agree with Wim, the autostart queues will not fail back to the problem node after its back up. And that is not necessarily a bad thing.

The reason I revived this topic was because I was unsure of how the queue manager worked with autostart queues. I understand how to set them up, just was not clear on how VMS started them on boot up. I confirmed what Wim said in a earlier reply, that autostart queues never stop unless someone or something issues stop/queue(even on shutdown). Therefor, there is no need to start queues on the cluster during boot only Enable Auto/Que in startup.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It has been very helpful.

MC

It is what it is!
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

MC,

If you want to do load balancing, schedule a job each day. For each queue, do a stop/que/next, wait until the queue is stopped, do a stop/que/reset (and a stop/id of the tcp symbionts because the symbion not always stops when doing stop/que) and a start/que.

This will
1) start the queue on the first node listed in the autostart list
2) reset the queue and will eliminate 80% of your printer problems (e.g. symbiont bugs, quota problems, etc)

Wim
Wim