1756986 Members
2136 Online
108858 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle7/VAX version matrix

SOLVED
Go to solution

Oracle7/VAX version matrix

We are currently running OpenVMS V7.1 on a VAX 7000-630 with Oracle 7.3.2. For many reasons, primarily application related, we can not upgrade the OS, so please do not head down that path.

This box used to have the databases installed locally, they were then moved to OpenVMS/Alpha v7.1 and ultimately to another (multiple windows boxes) platform and upgraded to 8i. This VAX, however still runs the bulk of the batch data processing for the company, so needs access to those databases.

The DBA would like to bring the databases to at least 9i but the data connections from the VAX are holding this up. She has some evidence that Oracle 7.3.4 will work with 9i directly (without proxy connections between them) and has asked whether that upgrade is possible. The connections to 9i do not work with 7.3.2.

I have not been able to find any documentation on 7.3.4 for VAX. I found reference to an "Oracle7 for VAX OpenVMS Installation Guide" but only am finding the Alpha version online. The DBA has been searching the Oracle side with no success, either.

I would like to know what the most recent version of Oracle is that could be installed on VMS/VAX 7.1. A version matrix would be even more help.

Thank you in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

So ask Oracle ?!
Specifically, check out Metalink
Specifically, Note:207303.1
Subject: Client / Server / Interoperability Support Between Different Oracle Versions

It only goes down to client version 7.3.4
It indicates a NO for a server version over 10.0.1.
It indicates a 'Was' for server versions 7.3.4 through 9.2.0

It explains 'Was' as:

"Was a supported combination but one of the releases is no longer covered by any of Premier Support , Primary Error Correct support , Extended Support nor Extended Maintenance Support so fixes are no longer possible."

hth,
Hein van den Heuvel
HvdH Performance Consulting

cnb... Those are all RDB links which the DBA could not figure out if they applied to "standard Oracle" but thank you for the links... I had only found a couple of them.

Hein: Thank you... The DBA claimed to have searched Metalink, but I will pass the information on to her. That might be just the information they were looking for.