108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pascal & pthreads

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Apthorp
Advisor

Pascal & pthreads

Is there an interface to pthreads from Pascal on I64.
Currently our application uses cma threads running on the Alpha and I would like to change this to the standard pthreads interface when I port to the Itanium (and also to run back on the Alpha so I only have to maintain one code set)
Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I guess the issue is the definitions - a pascal version of pthread.h - is this correct?

here
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/6493/6101pro_001.html#index_x_44
it says you can call the pthreads library from other languages but you have to roll your own equivilent to pthread.h

Do you know if anybody has created a pthreads definition file for VMS PASCAL - I don't know how to do it. Do you take the pthreads.h and convert it to PASCAL and work out how each type needs to passed?
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Richard,

It should be straightforward to construct the pthreads interface using similar conventions to those in SYS$LIBRARY:STARLET.PAS and SYS$LIBRARY:PASCAL$CMA_ROUTINES.PAS. Base it on the C headers and do a 1 for 1 conversion.

I'll have a look and see if we have any headers for pthread routines in house.

cheers

Brian
Richard Apthorp
Advisor

Thanks, I'll give it a go - but if you have anything you could send me to help that would be great, richard dot apthorp at iptest dot com
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Richard, (and everybody else)

please do _NOT_ use plain e-mail addresses in your postings!

Mutilate them in a way that human readers will simply re-construct them, while making it hard for automatons to recognise!!
Mainly it is (alas!) a necessary means of self-protection.

Proost.

Have one on me.

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Brian Reiter
Valued Contributor

Richard

Don't know how complete this. I've sanitised any potential condifdential info. The system using this code is live and quite likely somewhere near you.

Richard Apthorp
Advisor

Thats exactly what I need, thanks - I'm curious now to know what is running it, any more clues?