108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem starting DECwindows Motif on a PC X-Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Derek Gorman
Occasional Contributor

Problem starting DECwindows Motif on a PC X-Server

Suggestions were made to check and configure XDM (Thanks Joseph and Steven!) and I have done that.

The file xaccess.txt was created in its default configuration allowing any host to get a login. If I issue a $netstat command I see an active connection at 177 and a $tcpip show service XDM confirms XDM is running but I still do not get a login screen when I start X-Deep/32.

I checked the XDM log file (tcpip$xdm_run.log) and I see an error listed in the log:

"Cannot convert internet address 192... to hostname"

It seems like X-Deep/32 is now accessing the login server but it doesn't know how to configure the PC workstation with the TCP/IP address. Any idea how to correct that error?

Also, when I start an "Xbrowser", I do not see the DS10 offering XDM. Is that related to the above issue or a seperate problem? Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Origonal Question:

I am running DECwindows Motif V1.6 using the New Desktop on an Alphaserver DS10 under OpenVMS V8.3. My PC X-Server is X-Deep/32 and is networked to the DS10 using TCP/IP.

TCP/IP services are configured and operational under VMS and the XDM service is enabled. I created and edited decw$private_apps_setup.com to include the following lines after "do_default":

set display/create/transport=tcpip -
/executive_mode/node=192.... my_display
define/system/exec my_display 'f$trnlnm("my_display")

XDMCP is configured in the indirect mode within X-Deep/32 and when I start X-Deep/32 the DECwindows login screen does not appear. If I login to the system at the console and execute the following commands:

define decw$display my_display
@sys$manager:decw$startsm

a DECwindows desktop (old style) appears on the PC's X-Server. If I logout of that session, the New Desktop login screen appears and I can login to the New Desktop and everything runs fine, even stoping and restarting X-Deep/32, until the DS10 is rebooted.

My question is how do I configure DECwindows correctly on the DS10 to allow that process to happen automatically when I start X-Deep/32 on the PC? I realize that the above happens to work for one PC to DECwindows connection and I would like to have the system configured to allow multiple PC's connections. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Problem starting DECwindows Motif on a PC X-Server

> "Cannot convert internet address 192... to
> hostname"

Is that message _really_ that lame, or are
you just hiding potentially useful details
out of a misplaced concern for security?

What does that system use for name
resolution? DNS? HOSTS file? If DNS, is
there a reverse (number-to-name) entry for
"192..." in it? If HOSTS, is it in there?

I might think harder about this if I knew the
systems' names and IP addresses, and what the
actual messages said. I'm not inclined to
fight to get the information needed to make
sense out of this mess.
Steve-Thompson
Regular Advisor

Hi
.... sounds like you need a HOSTS entry to me!
Names work a lot better than 192... (addresses)!

If you really want to use an address, then make sure it's in double quotes.

$Set disp /node="192..."

Regards
Steven
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> If you really want to use an address, then
> make sure it's in double quotes.

I give up. What makes you think that
quotation is needed here?
Steve-Thompson
Regular Advisor

Hi (again) Derek

Getting a bit miffed, I pulled down a copy of Xdeep.... and you're right! It .... fails!

And before the people at Xdeep jump on me, lets precise and say "something" doesnt work!

With a $99 package (Xmanager), I see 5 XDMCP:query nodes on my network.
With $9 dollar package, I see 3 ..... Hmmm!

And of course the VMS box offering XDMCP, isnt in the Xdeep list.
My VMS is 7.3-2 and the XDM that goes with it! (TCPIP V5.4)

Try another X
And dont forget the points!
:-)

Steven
Steve-Thompson
Regular Advisor

... yes Steven S, You're right! Things have got mixed up!
the $set displ command isnt necessary for XDM.
But it appeared amongst Derek's problems.

I DO have a 3rd party package that complains at me if I DONT put an address in quotes..... no harm in letting Derek try this "test".

Regards
Steven T
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> no harm in letting Derek try this "test".

Perhaps there's no harm in _your_ trying this
test before suggesting it. Wasting someone's
time is not often fatal, but I consider it
harm when someone wastes _my_ time.
Derek Gorman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks to both of you, Steven S. and Steven T. for your comments and suggestions! The problem was the hostname was not listed in the HOSTS file....I never thought to check that! Once I defined the hostname everything works fine with X-Deep/32.

Steven S., the message in the log file was exactly as listed with the full IP address listed. I was not concerned about security, just too lazy to type out the full address.

Steven T., check the XDMCP tab in the X-Deep/32 setup options. It may be a configuration issue of why the remaining two XDMCP servers do not appear on your network. I had issues with that when I first started using the program.

Thanks again.