1752585 Members
4090 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with STR$CONCAT

Not applicable

Hi,

Following is the part of the code which show how we are using str$concat function to add two strings:

typedef struct dsc$descriptor_s desc;
typedef struct
{unsigned short XLENGTH;
unsigned char XDTYPE;
unsigned char XCLASS;
char *XPOINTER;
union
{struct
{char scl;
unsigned char dig;
} s;
short fac;
} u;
struct
{unsigned : 3;
unsigned bscl : 1;
unsigned : 4;
} sfl;
unsigned : 8;
} xdesc;

xdesc a, b, c;

str$concat(&a,&b,&c);
stat = lib$sfree1_dd ((desc *)&a);
stat = lib$sfree1_dd ((desc *)&b);

Best Regards,
ajaydec
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

You are not serious are you?

You are just testing us to see how we react to silly questions right?

>>> unsigned short XLENGTH;

So that's a 16 bit quantity, allowing for a max of 64K as suggested migth be theproblem in earlier replies.

>> I already have OpenVMS RTL String Manipulation (STR$) Manual but I didn't find anything useful in it.

I strongly recommend you read that manual again. Twice. Seriously.
Notably:

1.1.1 64-Bit Addressing Support (Alpha Only)

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/5936/5936pro.html#str_64bit

and

2.2 Descriptor Classes and String Semantics
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/73final/5936/5936pro_001.html#7_descriptorclassesandstrings

Jeez...

Best regards,
Hein.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Ooops... I may have replied too quickly

I half stopped reading seeing dsc$descriptor_s
and the regular sounding lib$sfree1_dd

It looks like the application is hand-crafting a 64 bit descriptor, but thats hard to follow and the actually usage (initialization) is not shown.

Be sure to dig down into the code that fills in the fields for the xdesc (or the service call used to to so).

Sorry,
Hein.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Do consider a move to system declarations, and away from local or private declarations. Makes for easier maintenance, and reduces errors. For this case, descrip.h and dscdef.h contain the system-provided data descriptor declarations.

Always verify the return status of a system or RTL call. Checking the return status of RTL and system service calls is considered good coding practice on OpenVMS. The contents of stsdef.h can be used here, or you can simply mask against the low bit of the return for standard OpenVMS condition values. If the low bit is set, the call worked.

Always initialize the contents of dynamic string descriptors. This (omission) looks to be the root cause of the str$concat error here, based on the short example C code posted. At its core, once a descriptor is initialized and then turned over to any of the OpenVMS routines, nothing other than OpenVMS routines should write to a dynamic descriptor. Not until after the descriptor has been freed. (And I usually then immediately zero it.)

When working to reproduce an error, code simplification is your friend. Unnecessary complexity leads to instability and increased maintenance costs. And here, that declaration is rather twisty.

Also consider a review the related discussion on using dynamic string descriptors present in the OpenVMS FAQ, and various of the available information on common C coding errors on OpenVMS. There are web sites with this material, and the OpenVMS Programming Concepts manual is a fairly good read.

http://www.hoffmanlabs.com/vmsfaq/
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_1661.html

Here's an example from the FAQ (< for { and > for }):

#include {descrip.h}
#include {lib$routines.h}
#include {stsdef.h}
int RetStat;
char TxtBuf[TXTSIZ]
struct dsc$descriptor StaticDsc =
{ 0, DSC$K_DTYPE_T, DSC$K_CLASS_S, NULL };
struct dsc$descriptor DynDsc =
{ 0, DSC$K_DTYPE_T, DSC$K_CLASS_D, NULL };
int DynDscLen = 255;
$DESCRIPTOR( ConstDsc, "This is a string" );

/* finish setting up a static descriptor */
StaticDsc.dsc$w_length = TXTSIZ;
StaticDsc.dsc$a_pointer = (void *) TxtBuf;

/* finish setting up a dynamic descriptor */
RetStat = lib$sget1_dd( &DynDscLen, &DynDsc );
if ( !$VMS_STATUS_SUCCESS( RetStat ) )
return RetStat;

/* release the dynamic storage */
RetStat = lib$sfree1_dd( &DynDsc );
if (!$VMS_STATUS_SUCCESS( RetStat ))
return RetStat;

Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

ajaydec,

It can be an alignement problem on your hand-crafted descriptor.

So, as Hoff mentioned, move to standard descriptor structs from descrip.h or try with alignement pragmas:

#pragma __member_alignment __save
#pragma __nomember_alignment

#pragma __member_alignment __restore

Bojan
Not applicable

Thanks to everone for their efforts and time.

The problem is now solved.

Apart from this, I need one confirmation:

STR$CONCAT will allocate the memory dynamically by itself where it will store the resultant string. But nowhere in the str document they have mentioned that str$concat will allocate memory dynamically nor they have given advice/warning to free up that memory.

I just want to know whether my point is right or did I missed something in the manual to read.

Regards,
ajaydec
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

I think this implied by selecting a "dynamic" string descriptor.
Surely the implication of that are well documented in the description of those descriptors, and probably for many, but possibly not all of its users.

Hein.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

The STR$-library documentation clearly states that INSVERMEM is a status that can be returned. My assumtion therefore is that the routine will so some allocation for temprorary storage. And since I haven't heard of anything proclaming evidence of the opposite, I am sure that allocated memory is de-allocated after use.
Though I can live with that assumption, you may check the listings of the STR-libary routines to be sure. (I have no access to them)

WG
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Hoff
Honored Contributor

String and the many other descriptors are a common area for coding errors, as the construct is usually entirely foreign to most programmers new to using C on OpenVMS.

As for the confirmation sought here, that and far more would be included in the early chapters of the STR$ manual. (This was a suggestion included earlier in this thread.) Also see the OpenVMS FAQ, as that contains some of the more common coding errors, including references to coding errors involving dynamic descriptors. Also see topic (1661) in the old Ask The Wizard http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/wizard area, as that has lists of common coding errors. Also see the Programming Concepts manual for the OpenVMS programming norms and concepts and interfaces, and the C manuals for the C norms and concepts associated with C on OpenVMS.

Yes, reading through all this material is work, and it'll slow you down for a little while while you work your way through it all, and while you digest and work toward understanding it. It'll be way more than one sitting, too. Down the road, however, this effort will help greatly speed your coding, and will improve the stability and maintainability of your code. And from a purely self-interest perspective, this sort of effort will also help you further your programming career.