3764 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

%RMS-W-RTB when execute DCL script

lalo57
Advisor

%RMS-W-RTB when execute DCL script

Hi

Please, I need to resolve this trouble when I execute a DCL command for testing. When I selected the option '1' the program cancel and show this message '%RMS-W-RTB, 257 byte record too large for user's buffer'

The option 'PASO1' have 130 characters to show on the screen. If this results is OK must be showed but it is not.

I consider 130 characters per show as a real script validations reach over the real range per characters (130)

This is the result on my terminal:
------------------------------------------
$ set ver
$ set noon
$
$Enter Option === > : 1
$ IF OPC .EQS. "" THEN goto EXIT
$ IF OPC .LE. 0 .OR. OPC .GT.15 THEN GOTO inicio
$ IF OPC .EQ. 1 THEN GOTO PASO1
$ PASO1:
%RMS-W-RTB, 257 byte record too large for user's buffer

In this message i have the dcl script command attachments.

Thanks,

Eduardo
3 REPLIES 3
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: %RMS-W-RTB when execute DCL script

Some suggestions on the code, and some comments.

Don't embed escape directly into DCL. Use symbol substitution. That approach avoids having the escape sequences interpreted when you're looking at the procedure.

Please post some OpenVMS version information. The newer OpenVMS versions have longer command line support; if you're far enough back, then you may well see these sorts of errors.

I've updated the DCL code to fix the various DCL programming issues I encountered (undefined symbols, some odd command syntax), and it works as is (probably?) expected.

A DIRECTORY /FULL on the file might help on the file involved here on your system, too.

The attached DCL was tested on OpenVMS Alpha V8.3.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC

Hoff
Honored Contributor

And FWIW, here's some (cleaner than what I hacked together in that reply) DCL example code that deals with embedding escape and control sequences:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/150

If you want more examples of DCL command procedures, follow the DCL "tag" around the web site:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/taxonomy/term/53
lalo57
Advisor

Hi all, this error only appeared on prior version to 7.3-2. on under, this message is not showed. Many documents, searched on HP and OpenVMS forums, talks about this feature on Dcl Commands.

Thanks to all for your time.